Heat loss from exterior chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluefrier

Feeling the Heat
Jul 3, 2008
Maryland
A past thread reported a 10 - 20% heat loss from exterior fireplaces with inserts or stoves installed. I can't come around
to agree with these numbers because even when my stove is blasting for hours the bricks outside (directly behind the stove) are stone cold. The mass of the fireplace will radiate a soft heat for hours after the fire dies down. Also, aren't firebricks (in an existing fireplace) suppose to reflect heat and not absorb it? I know some heat is loss to the outdoors and every house is different but come on...10 - 20 percent?

There are a lot of variations on exterior fireplaces depending on what the mason was paid to do in the original installation. Installing a chimney or fireplace that is not central and interior is a bad idea, but that hasn't stopped a lot of people from doing it. Perhaps your flue has an insulation or air barrier between the inner and outer brick layers to mitigate the cold chimney effect?

Status
Not open for further replies.