Heat n glo gotto go

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lkauppi

Sep 21, 2009
NC
We have a heat n glo 6000tvfl, that is pretty and that is it. I want something that will put out some heat. My head is spinning with trying to understand the wood burning insert or gas logs or tax credits or ahhhh. somebody please walk me thru the steps I need to take to get the best heat for the cheapest cost. I love wood burning, but I also like the instant heat from gas logs with a blower overhead. We have access to plenty of wood, so again that would be free, but the labor part sucks. Thanks

Well, first, you must decide if you want wood or gas. You've pointed out major differences: Wood is "free" but labor intensive, whereas, gas is instant no fuss but expensive. Who gets to take it easy - your muscles or your wallet?

I think Doug pretty much summed it up . . . if you value inexpensive heating vs. more expensive heating go with the wood . . . if you value convenience and value your time more than money going with gas would be the way to go. If you do go with wood and get a newer stove I think you'll find that you can get more heat from less wood which is a plus . . . but honestly it all boils down to what you have more (or less of) -- time or money.

We had a 6000 series Heat-n-glo lp gas fireplace that sweated us out of the living room in our old house in upstate NY, i believe it was ~ 40k btu. Is your fan operational, and is the flame "tuned"?

If you are in north carolina and your 6000 does not heat the room, something is not working correctly.

You sure it's a b-vent & not a direct vent?
You should be able to add a blower to get heat farther away from it.
Is the gas valve turned all the way to High?

lkauppi said:
We have a heat n glo 6000tvfl, that is pretty and that is it. I want something that will put out some heat. My head is spinning with trying to understand the wood burning insert or gas logs or tax credits or ahhhh. somebody please walk me thru the steps I need to take to get the best heat for the cheapest cost. I love wood burning, but I also like the instant heat from gas logs with a blower overhead. We have access to plenty of wood, so again that would be free, but the labor part sucks. Thanks

Whenever someone says to me they want the best heat for the cheapest cost....and then follow up with hating the labor, I simply advise to stay away from wood heat.

1. Why would anyone want to just go cheap when you are speaking of such a volatile thing as a heating unit? Would you do that same thing with your regular furnace? I'd be more concerned with getting something good rather than cheap.

2. Wood heating does require some labor. Not only in gathering the wood but also in keeping the stove operating. If you aren't interested in doing that, don't tie yourself down to it. You'll be sorry and unhappy.

no doubt wood fires are laborious. My husband actually likes to chop wood:) We both prefer wood fire actually. We live on a farm so trees fall a lot, we have free wood for the most part. I guess my biggest deal at this point is not understanding (construcion wise) what I could put back in the heat n glo's place. Let's say we pull the heat n glo unit out (hypothetically speaking) then what is next step? There is not a built in firebox surrounding the heat n glo, so do we then put a prefab box in and then the wood burning insert in that? We do have a chimney, though I am not sure what is in there except maybe a vent pipe for the heat n glo, obviously this would need something different for wood burning. I was planning to utilize the tax credit to offset some of the expense.

Status
Not open for further replies.