Heat n Glo I35F - No Flame Adj; How Warm Should it be?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pearsonweb

Dec 30, 2015
Bloomfield MI
We had a Heat n Glo I35F installed in Dec 2015. The fan was making a high pitched squeal which was swapped out under warranty. Then, the replacement fan started making a different noise which was attributed to a wire that had somehow come into contact causing a vibration type noise. The fan issue was fixed under warranty.

Flame Height Issue:
While the tech was out - I asked him about the height of the flame on the unit which never seemed to fluctuate much (if at all). On the remote there are 5 positions from low to high; to me, even though the remote 'beeped' when adjusted by the remote the flame did not appear to me to get any higher or lower. Was I just expecting more of difference between low and high or was something wrong? The tech confirmed that the flame was 'stuck' on "medium" and that there should be an obvious visual difference between low and high (there is not).

The tech then replaced the valve, the module, and even tried a new remote control. He checked the pressure of the gas, we are at 2.7 which he said was consistent with a 'medium' height and that the flame height seemed to be stuck on medium - visually going no higher or no lower when adjusted using the remote. He did the diagnostics by resetting the solenoid, he called Hearth and Home Technology and spoke to a rep and they could not offer anything else. He is not sure what else to do except try another new valve in case the replacement valve was somehow bad. Does anyone have any advice for this?

Warmth/Temperature
Since we've had the unit installed, we've enjoyed the ambience and sitting on the hearth in front of it becomes hot after a couple of minutes. However, my parents home which is a very large great room with 20 foot ceilings has a heat n glo unit installed (their fireplace is 10+ years old) and in their home when the fireplace is on and the fan on, the ENTIRE ROOM gets noticeably warm. In fact, they usually have to turn the fan off because it gets uncomfortably warm after a while if you leave the fan on. In my home (which is roughly 20x20 with standard ceiling height) which does open up into the kitchen it never seems to get 'uncomfortably' warm. We leave the fan on medium almost all the time and it never gets more than 72 degrees or so in that room. In my research prior to purchasing, I learned that buying a gas insert like this was 'like putting a 2nd furnace in your living room'. Is that really true? If so, shouldn't it be getting 'uncomfortably warm' in our family room after a few hours? Or am I expecting too much? We purposely keep the house thermostat heat at 63 and only heat the family room where we spend most of our time using the fireplace. This was another reason for wanting to purchase the heat n glo gas insert. I know it may be difficult to comment without seeing the layout of the room but should we expect to it to be warmer? Could the fact that our flame height (see above issue) never gets 'high' be contributing?

I'd appreciate any input or advice that may help me temper my expectations on either of these.
IMG_3312.jpg

Last edited:
Where did he check the gas pressure? Coming INTO the valve or coming OUT of it?
There should be about 7" W.C. coming IN & 3.5" coming OUT.
How long is your gas line run from where it ties into the main line?
What is the diameter of the pipe for that run?

Where did he check the gas pressure? Coming INTO the valve or coming OUT of it?
There should be about 7" W.C. coming IN & 3.5" coming OUT.
How long is your gas line run from where it ties into the main line?
What is the diameter of the pipe for that run?
Hello and thank you for responding - I must admit that I am not that knowledgeable about those details. I just heard the tech say over the phone to the rep that "we checked the pressure and it was at 2.7" - I don't even know what that means or whether it meant in or out - the gas line is very close to the unit; about 3 or4 feet from the meter to the back of the fireplace. I'm not sure of the diameter of the pipe - I just assume the installer would do it right. Sounds like you are suggesting our gas pressure is low. Could that relate to the issues described?

Low gas pressure sounds like your issue. Does the gas line come DIRECTLY from the meter to the insert,
or does it go to the basement, feed other appliances & then go to the insert?

Low gas pressure can definitely cause a low flame. Minimum inlet pressure for Natural gas should be at least 5.0 in. w.c.; 2.7 would be low if this was the inlet pressure. If it is indeed low, you can have your local gas utility company turn up the pressure at your gas meter.

A video of the flame would be helpful, showing the flame before and after adjusting it on your remote control.

Low gas pressure can definitely cause a low flame. Minimum inlet pressure for Natural gas should be at least 5.0 in. w.c.; 2.7 would be low if this was the inlet pressure. If it is indeed low, you can have your local gas utility company turn up the pressure at your gas meter.

A video of the flame would be helpful, showing the flame before and after adjusting it on your remote control.
Thank you both for chiming in. This is a great forum for posting these types of questions. I will post a video of the flame adjustment process by the end of the weekend. I will also contact my gas company and inquire about boosting the pressure; I had no idea that I could even do that.

Low gas pressure sounds like your issue. Does the gas line come DIRECTLY from the meter to the insert,
or does it go to the basement, feed other appliances & then go to the insert?
The only other gas appliance we have is a stove so there must be a line that runs to it in the basement; that run would be about 40 feet. I don't really know how the installers ran a line for the fireplace. I will check when I get home to see if I can discern.

Here is a video of the flame not adjusting when going from low to high.

Status
Not open for further replies.