1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Heat N Glo .. Northstar.. Blower fan question

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by bruce_m, Feb 18, 2013.

1. bruce_m

bruce_m New Member

The unit has 2 blower units in it.

The fans were starting to make a lot of noise .. whining .. chirping etc... I ordered a new OEM replacement from HnGlo ... was told they are identical and pretty much do look the same from the outside. Only difference is minor changes in mounting bracket and it now has metal fan vs. plastic.

When I replaced the "bad" fan with the new one ... and ran it with my remaining old fan... there are some noises... light howl... variable speed etc.... in the fans.

Does anyone know if this is a symptom of electrical differences (power draw etc...) of the new fan? Maybe it draws a little more or less voltage causing the noise and inconsistency of the two fans running in unison?

Any help is appreciated..... in the mean time .. I placed a couple drops of light oil on the old noisy fan shafts to lube the bushings and it seemed to help immensely...

Thanks in advance !!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Even if there was a slight difference in the draw of the new to the old, it shouldn't cause any operational issues. These fans are not in series, they are in parallel. Each will simply draw what they need, and nothing from the other. My guess is that the remaining old fan may need some attention. It is amazing what a little build up on the blades can do. Lube is a must.