Heat N Glo .. Northstar.. Blower fan question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bruce_m

Feb 9, 2013
The unit has 2 blower units in it.

The fans were starting to make a lot of noise .. whining .. chirping etc... I ordered a new OEM replacement from HnGlo ... was told they are identical and pretty much do look the same from the outside. Only difference is minor changes in mounting bracket and it now has metal fan vs. plastic.

When I replaced the "bad" fan with the new one ... and ran it with my remaining old fan... there are some noises... light howl... variable speed etc.... in the fans.

Does anyone know if this is a symptom of electrical differences (power draw etc...) of the new fan? Maybe it draws a little more or less voltage causing the noise and inconsistency of the two fans running in unison?

Any help is appreciated..... in the mean time .. I placed a couple drops of light oil on the old noisy fan shafts to lube the bushings and it seemed to help immensely...

Thanks in advance !!

Even if there was a slight difference in the draw of the new to the old, it shouldn't cause any operational issues. These fans are not in series, they are in parallel. Each will simply draw what they need, and nothing from the other. My guess is that the remaining old fan may need some attention. It is amazing what a little build up on the blades can do. Lube is a must.

Status
Not open for further replies.