Heat N Glo ... Northstar .. heat shield question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bemiller2006

Apr 30, 2008
Central MN
Question about the heat shield (the non combustible material at the top of the inside of the firebox) it sits just on top of the tubes.

I just noticed this evening that it has been cracked nice and cleanly right in the middle... from front to back. Right about in line with the middle of the door straight to the back.

It has that big blanket of insulation on top of it.

The crack is maybe 1/8 inch wide.

How big of an issue is this? Should I not be burning ?

I am sure the stove has not been overfired. This is the first winter with it too.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce

I'm not quite sure if you should stop burning, but the manual (I have the Northstar as well) seems to go out of the way to tell you to make sure the board and blanket are installed correctly, so I would imagine a crack in that board is not a good thing. You might pose that question to heat n Glo.

Also, that board should be covered under warranty if your still within it for that piece.
Even if your not within the warranty, I can't imagine that board costs all that much. Call up your dealer, ask him to give you a price on part SRV480-0510 Baffle, Fiberboard.
That's also listed as 'Stocked in depot', meaning, it's a common part that should be readily available. Also meaning, sadly, they need replacing often.

Did it just crack on it's own, or did somebody manhandle it during cleaning or chimney maint. or something?

It has never been removed, as we just installed the unit last May and have only been burning this fall.

I suppose it may have cracked if I hit it with a log while loading the fireplace some time. I just never noticed.

I agree, (and hope) that the replacement shouldnt be too awfully expensive.

It's a great fireplace.

I also purchased a North Star from Heat N Glow and after one season the baffle fiber board cracked right down the middle. I know it was good at the begining of the burning season. This board should not have cracked like that. I called and got a price of $162.00 plus shipping which is totally outrageous. Does anyone know of a substitute material that I can purchase and cut to size myself? Or where I can get a new baffle board that will last more than one season for a reasonable price?

Thanks,

Rod Coelho

New baffle lists for $152...
Seems kinda pricey to me, but that's book price from the dealer
Maybe you could contact HnG tech & find out what
a viable substitute material might be...

I was looking at the Quadrafire 7100. I know the Northstar and Quad 7100 are owned by the same company. I was wondering if the 7100 had the same design as the Northstar in this area(the cracked piece, etc.) I can't believe that deal would break down that fast.

Well, I took my own advice & I read the Northstar install manual &
found the baffle to be 2700 degree fiberboard...
The only thing on-line that I found was a 1/2" Insboard
product that sells foe 13$ A SQ FT...
or $55 for a 24 x 36" sheet...
Made by Ellis Custom Knifeworks in Knoxville. Tenn..

http://home.comcast.net/~eellis2/EllisCustomKnifeworks/inswool.html

The baffle in the Northstar can't be much more than 2 sq ft...
I'd measure our floor model, but she's a tad hot this afternoon...
been burning since about 9AM...

Go figure...
An HHT technical rep is in the store as I type this, so I posed the question
to him about the safety of burning Northstar with a broken baffle...
The baffle is mainly there to support the Kaowool blanket that's above it..
A crack in the baffle shouldn't cause any damage to the unit or jeopardize the safety of its burn operation,
as long as the blanket is still in place and it's covering the fracture zone(s)...

I always say a small crack wont do any harm. If chunks start falling off then you should get a new one. Also if its less than a year old you may be able to get a new one from your dealer for free (warranty).

Whops doubled it.

Status
Not open for further replies.