Heat N Glow Northstar Baffle Board. Why so expensive?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LEMONADEMAN

Nov 15, 2008
Rhode Island
Good Friday morning to everyone. I own a Heat N Glow Northstar. I really enjoy the heat that the unit gives off. I run the unit non stop once things get cold up here in RI. I have burned about 15 cords since new.
The baffle board for the unit is $150?!! It seems like a thin piece of ceramic. Is there a generic one I can buy that is less expensive? I assume it would do the same?
Also, the fan gets noisey from time to time. Is that a sing of a bad fan? It is loud when it is started cold.
Thank you in advance for your thoughts or opinions.
stove7.jpg

just picked up my nortstar today,man is it heavy

That price seems a little high, but I would have to check.

I'm sure any high temp ceramic fiber board would work fine, just have to cut it to fit.

How big a home will the North Start unit forably in 10 degree weather? Are you happy with the perfromance and do you use the heat zone option?

There are tons of other posts about this....

unfortunatly, the search never seems to work right on this site... :/

Draeger,I wish I had my northstar installation completed.I could give you some feedback its going to get down to 10 F tonight,but I was sick for a week and the cold weather has my work going cazy.

I love my Northstar. It is on it's 4th full burn season. I own a 2700 sq ft colonial with 9' celiings and if it were not for my wife not wanting it to drop below 70 degrees, I would never have to turn the heat on. Best investment I ever made in my home. I live in RI where it can and will get to 0 degrees at night.

woodracerx said:
Draeger,I wish I had my northstar installation completed.I could give you some feedback its going to get down to 10 F tonight,but I was sick for a week and the cold weather has my work going cazy.

Woodracerx,

Thanks for the post. let me know how things work out after your install.

LEMONADEMAN said:
I love my Northstar. It is on it's 4th full burn season. I own a 2700 sq ft colonial with 9' celiings and if it were not for my wife not wanting it to drop below 70 degrees, I would never have to turn the heat on. Best investment I ever made in my home. I live in RI where it can and will get to 0 degrees at night.

Lemonademan,

Are you happy with the heat it throws to all the rooms in house or is there a large differential. Any problems with cold air entering house through intake from outside home?

Wood Heat Stoves said:
hearth and home HHT is a for proifit company is why they are expensive...
do you have the partnumber? i can look up costs for you
Dave, I am not looking for one but the part # is SRV480-0510 Thanks Mark

Wood Heat Stoves said:
http://woodheatstoves.com/baffle-board-heat-n-glo-northstar-fireplace-p-12166.html

yes 150 is an inflated price. 123 on our site....
Thanks Dave if I ever need any parts I will contact you.I do not have my northstar running yet but soon maybe by sunday.

EddyKilowatt said:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#refractory-insulation/=4j5uda

None of the rigid ceramic boards that McMaster sells are suitable for wood stoves. They are low-density boards and will get torn up each time you bump something into them. I have yet to find a retail source for the higher-density boards that have better abrasion resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.