Heat of the Flame?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
Watching the fire tonight and I see many different colors to the flames. I have in the stove now a good bed of coals from maple and ash. Threw in two splits of birch and one good size round of oak. With that said the stove is reading 600F. But what about the colors of the flames? I see yellow and oranges everywhere but I also see blue. Almost like a blowtorch blue. Is the blue hotter than the rest or just more concentrated? Interesting to think about and what is the temp of the blue flame typically?

In theory, later in a burn you should see a lot more blue since there should be less ash and other combustion byproducts burning in the flame. In practice, there are so many combinations of things that contribute to flame coloration. Just look at fireworks for example. Different material compositions produce the colors.

Coon pee and squirrel pee give different colors too. If you keep the critters out, the mice will move in. Not sure what color they give. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Nixon and tfdchief
Admit it sav, when entertaining guests, you go out and give your next load a soak to really wow them with the colors! ;)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.