1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Heat of the Flame?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by NordicSplitter, Feb 6, 2013.

1. NordicSplitter

NordicSplitter Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western,NY
    Watching the fire tonight and I see many different colors to the flames. I have in the stove now a good bed of coals from maple and ash. Threw in two splits of birch and one good size round of oak. With that said the stove is reading 600F. But what about the colors of the flames? I see yellow and oranges everywhere but I also see blue. Almost like a blowtorch blue. Is the blue hotter than the rest or just more concentrated? Interesting to think about and what is the temp of the blue flame typically?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jdp1152

jdp1152 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    In theory, later in a burn you should see a lot more blue since there should be less ash and other combustion byproducts burning in the flame. In practice, there are so many combinations of things that contribute to flame coloration. Just look at fireworks for example. Different material compositions produce the colors.
  3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Coon pee and squirrel pee give different colors too. If you keep the critters out, the mice will move in. Not sure what color they give. :rolleyes:
    Nixon and tfdchief like this.
  4. jdp1152

jdp1152 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Admit it sav, when entertaining guests, you go out and give your next load a soak to really wow them with the colors! ;)
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Depends upon what I have been drinking!
    Nixon and tfdchief like this.