Heat output from ZC Kozyheat Z42.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris611

Dec 8, 2005
So last year I bought a slightly used Kozyheat Z42 CD to replace the old preway fireplace that we had. I really like the fireplace. However I feel like I don't get the heat out of it that some talk about. I don't see much on the Z42, althought a couple threads have recently poped up. The fireplacce is in my basement and I have the fans running in the unit along with a floor fan blowing on the front to move the heat from the front into the room. The basement has poured concrete walls that are exposed. However the basement is finished (carpet, furntiture, bar (my favorite part...)) and about 1500 sq ft. It fairly open, however the stairs come down in the middle. Everyone else with stove, talks about how hot the room gets, I just don't get that kind of heat. Tonight, it's 13 out and I started the fire about 1 hr ago with 6 splits of hard wood and the temp has increased 3.5 degrees and my load of wood is about gone. Outside air has been fully open. Do the stoves release that much more heat that the ZC fireplace?

Looking for advice.
Thanksl
Chris

With your air fully open, you're losing a lot of heat up the chimney and burning way too much wood. I find that I get way more heat output once I start closing things down. Especially when the secondary burn kicks in to high gear.

Pagey said:
http://www.woodstove.com/pages/basement_install.html

Take a minute to read up on that. If your walls are not insulated, you're bleeding BTUs to the outside world, unfortunately.

Wow, that article was a real eye opener. I knew it would help to insulate, but didn't know it would help that much!

Do you have a thermometer on your fireplace and if so what temp does it read? My z42 runs about 450-500 with the thermometer between the doors. It takes about an hour or so to get to that temp. The air is almost completely shut at those temps

I don't have a thermometer. I wanted to install a probe in the chimney that has been discussed here before. I have attached a little cheapy thermocouple that came with an in/outdoor thermomber. Stuck it to the chimney and while it doens't give the flue temp, I could watch as the temp rose or fell depending on t he adjsutments I made to the fireplace.

ALso, I have never seen my secondaries light up. I saw a video on youtube with secondaries burning and there seems to be no mistaking when they light. I have never seen mine go. Anyone with a Z42 seen them lit?

Status
Not open for further replies.