Heat protection/Hearth for Mansfield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

holg

Feb 4, 2011
northern WI
I realize this is a subject that has been dealt with in previous posts. I am planning on purchasing a Hearthstone, likely a Mansfield, possibly a Heritage. Previous posts indicate that the floor underneath the stove or in front of the glass can get extremely hot. I am a bit anal and know I will build my hearth oversafe; I am planning on multiple layers of Micore and Durock or Wonderboard before the top layer of tile or rock or brick with an R value in the neighborhood of 1.5--2.0 I assume when I get to my final design, my hearth will be in the neighborhood of 4--5" tall. In front of the hearth, I will inlay a few tiles flush with the surrounding wood floor for ember protection. My question has to do with how far out the floor gets hot. Anticipating a 24/7 burn with good use of secondaries, what is good for heat protrection? I have even considered raising the stove up a few inches where the legs contact the hearth, but don't know if I could make that look nice or if that is way overkill. I know what the manual says and will exceed that, and exceed what the Heritage calls for, even if I get the Mansfield. So any real life comments on hot floors under, in front of or around a Mansfield or Heritage would be appreciated before I build the hearth.

Thanks

I have the Mansfield and because of the application I bought one of those pads from the stove store. I am unsure of the R value but... It goes out to just beyond the minimum required for the pad. Under the stove does not get that hot with the Mansfield, I think because of the ash pan acting like an insulator. In front of the stove on the other hand does get quite warm. Not hot but toasty warm.

Shawn

shawneyboy said:
I have the Mansfield and because of the application I bought one of those pads from the stove store. I am unsure of the R value but... It goes out to just beyond the minimum required for the pad. Under the stove does not get that hot with the Mansfield, I think because of the ash pan acting like an insulator. In front of the stove on the other hand does get quite warm. Not hot but toasty warm.

Shawn

+1 - under stove not hot, in front warm, but not hot. Cheers and enjoy!

When in doubt follow the manual! The Mansfield just requires ember protection unless this is an alcove installation in which case it needs R=.8 protection.. The Heritage requires a stiffer R=1.2. . You'll be fine with a 1/2" layer of Micore, 1/2" cement board, and tile.

shawneyboy, NH_Wood, ryanm 527 and BeGreen--thanks all for the responses. "Toasty warm", "warm but not hot" and "very warm" all sound doable to me. And I will certainly follow or exceed the manual's minimal suggestions. Plus, if my raised hearth extends 16" in front of the door, with the 4--5" drop down to the floor level, I presume my floor will likely be a little cooler than the surface of the hearth right in front of the door. Thanks again--now to continue with gearing up for next season!

Status
Not open for further replies.