Heat pump guilt

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2014
Southern NJ
I just turned it on today just to see if it works. And I already want to turn it off. Is this normal? Lol.

Lol. When's the last time it was on? Assuming you heat via what looks like an insert, how bad did it smell when you turned it on burning off dust bunnies?

My wife turned it on last night, and I just turned it off. Let it get chilly in here for once!

Didn't smell at all. It did take a few minutes for it to turn on. I would say it was last used in late March.

First fire is tonight though. 48 and rainy. It's fire time.

I'm lighting one myself when i get home. Not too far from you... same weather.

EDIT: nothing like a nice warm fire and a Caps game on TV. Preseason, but still. Might even have to pick up some brewskis to complete the experience lol

Ours has been on for the past couple weeks. No guilt here. That is why we have the system. It's very efficient and costs little to run so I save the wood for when it's cold outside.

Reactions: davidmsem
Ours has been on for the past couple weeks. No guilt here. That is why we have the system. It's very efficient and costs little to run so I save the wood for when it's cold outside.

Yes, just turned ours on here. A modern heat pump excells in 40-50 deg weather. Simple as that. Saving my wood for when it gets cold here too.

Turned on two radiator heaters today with the the damp cold. Heat pump is a hunk of dead salvage sitting beside the house for around 15 years. Scared to have it replaced now because I do not want to see what flies or crawls out of those ducts the first time the blower is turned on. <>

Too bad center hall colonials are the absolute worst arraignment for mini-splits.

I'm jealous / envious of you all, I just got back in my truck, soaking wet, full of mud, and cold from a tree on wires job. I cant wait till my shift (16hrs) is over and I go home, nice hot shower, blazeking and bed, oh and then I get to repeat this all over again tomorrow. I hate Nor'easters.

Reactions: earl764
As much as I want to start a fire, the heat pump is the lowest cost choice this time of year for me. Very difficult to build a fire the right size for 50 degree nights and 75 afternoons. If I don't want to tough it out in the morning, the heat pump gets turned on.

NJ_Burner08002, you must have run the AC this summer, right?

I would recommend everybody with a heating system run the dang thing a little bit every fall just to make sure it'll work if you need it in the winter.

We don't have a heating system but instead have learned how to build small fires when it is 65 outside and inside but we want it 75. Wood is cheap, especially the amount needed for these small fires. The reason I would run a heat pump during these shoulder season burns is due to effort. It takes effort to start all of these little fires. Time and labor that can be replaced with 30 cents of electricity on these warmer days.

Agreed, it's good to exercise the main heating system once in a while. In very cold weather it can also help avoid pipe freezing by putting some heat in the basement.

Our long extended shoulder season weather is what drove my decision to get the heat pump in the first place. We use it mostly for heating, not AC. A month's heating will typically cost $10-20 depending on outside temps.

Reactions: Highbeam
Last night I lit a fire. Temperature cruised at a warm 70 degrees on the first floor. Actually it seemed a bit warm. Too warm. Lol. But I wanted to light her up and get it going. Something about 592 degrees that makes me smile.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    214.4 KB · Views: 77
I gave the heat pump a day of use just to make sure all was good.

Lit a fire Wednesday. Since I work on the road, I left thursday morning, came back Friday night to an 80 degree house, my wife snoozing on the couch and me wondering why we had the a/c set to 74 all summer?

She does love a fire that wife of mine.

Ha, don't you just love that. I have never understood why people run the AC at 70F all summer long and want the house to be 80F during the winter. When working in India I had to have them reset my office thermostat to 75F so that I didn't need to wear a sweater to work.

Reactions: iamlucky13
I gave the heat pump a day of use just to make sure all was good.

Lit a fire Wednesday. Since I work on the road, I left thursday morning, came back Friday night to an 80 degree house, my wife snoozing on the couch and me wondering why we had the a/c set to 74 all summer?

She does love a fire that wife of mine.

I hear you. 76 in the winter and she is cold. 76 in the summer she is having a heat stroke.

Reactions: Starstuff
I would recommend everybody with a heating system run the dang thing a little bit every fall just to make sure it'll work if you need it in the winter.

We don't have a heating system but instead have learned how to build small fires when it is 65 outside and inside but we want it 75. Wood is cheap, especially the amount needed for these small fires. The reason I would run a heat pump during these shoulder season burns is due to effort. It takes effort to start all of these little fires. Time and labor that can be replaced with 30 cents of electricity on these warmer days.
Just did that today myself running the FHO oil furnace.
Running good.
The other reason is just what you expressed, ease and less effort.
Oil is cheap, might be bit lazier this year.

Reactions: Highbeam
I've been running my oil boiler for a week or so . . . a) figure it's good to see if it's working well, b) oil is cheap right now, c) I'm being lazy and sometimes it can be a bit of a challenge with the reverse stack effect. In truth, I was going to do a small fire this evening, but the draft was reversed and around 8 p.m. or so I figured I would just let the oil boiler take care of the rest of the evening. There will be plenty of time and plenty of wood burning in the next few months for me to get my wood burning fix.

When we first got the heat pump, I used to force myself to wait until mid-October to turn it on, but it was getting too cool in the mornings even with a sweatshirt.

Seeing how reasonable the October power bills have been, I've started letting it come on in September as needed. We've just reached the point where it comes on almost every morning, but it usually only takes a short run to get the house back to 68 and it doesn't need to come on again until late evening...but earlier each day now.

I have never understood why people run the AC at 70F all summer long and want the house to be 80F during the winter.

I suppose for the immediate sensation of relief from the cold or heat. I've heard some cities in Calfornia have passed laws banning stores from leaving doors open all summer, as they were deliberately doing so in hopes that people walking by in the heat would feel the cool air blowing out the doors and be enticed inside.

It's not very comfortable, however, to be wearing shorts and flip flops and spend any amount of time in a building that's air conditioned to 68-70F. But if I'm wearing pants and long sleeves, like I normally would in the winter, 68 is just fine.

A sweatshirt is cheaper than turning up the thermostat 3-4 degrees more than it needs to be all winter.

I try to hold off to Halloween for the heater and wood burning. 65 winter and 75 summer is what I try to keep my house at

Status
Not open for further replies.