Heat pump users?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet they elect a Dem as governor....???!!! My grandfather was a 9 yr old breakerboy at Monongah in 1907. He was sick that day and his mom kept him home. 3 uncles were lost in the worst disaster in US history.
Perhaps a "Southern Democrat"?? Sorry to hear about your loss. Coal mining is tough. Coal heat is great.

Perhaps a "Southern Democrat"?? Sorry to hear about your loss. Coal mining is tough. Coal heat is great.
Yep, if he hadn't been sick that day, I wouldn't be here to harrass everyone! Coal mining is VERY tough work. I think every Congressman should spend a month working in the mines as a prerequisite for runnng for office. 362 people OFFICIALLY died that day but the number is probably double that because they didn't count or even know how many children were helping their dad's and they didn't count the mule team handlers and other 'unofficial' helpers.

Speaking of duct work losses, this is the only cost comparison tool that I've found that gives you choices of duct work insulation values for heat pumps of various kinds.

http://www.buildinggreen.com/calc/fuel_cost.cfm
Using this calculator a mini-split only cost about 20% more than coal to operate. About $1200 per Yr vs $1000 for the coal stove. The mini split beats out wood at $200 per cord and pellets at 200 a ton. And thats not the most efficient model.
It would make sense for the shoulder season when not that much heat is needed and its more efficient to run.

Using this calculator a mini-split only cost about 20% more than coal to operate. About $1200 per Yr vs $1000 for the coal stove. The mini split beats out wood at $200 per cord and pellets at 200 a ton. And thats not the most efficient model.
It would make sense for the shoulder season when not that much heat is needed and its more efficient to run.

They can be pretty pricey to install that has always been my hesitation. The lines need a vacuum pulled on them which technically you need a license to do. We have one room above our garage that is about 800sq/ft I have not decided weather I want to move my pellet stove their or have a mini split installed.

They can be pretty pricey to install that has always been my hesitation. The lines need a vacuum pulled on them which technically you need a license to do. We have one room above our garage that is about 800sq/ft I have not decided weather I want to move my pellet stove their or have a mini split installed.
Not as pricy as a coal stove! And you cant get cold air from a coal stove in summer.
I have a coal stove ,but the fuel went from $80 a ton in 2002 to $200 a ton today.

Not as pricy as a coal stove! And you cant get cold air from a coal stove in summer.
I have a coal stove ,but the fuel went from $80 a ton in 2002 to $200 a ton today.
Even at $200 a ton, realize that you have almost twice the btus per ton as pellets. Use any fuel comparison chart to see that you are still way ahead of pellet heads and electron suckers.

L

Like I said, most don't take efficiency losses in duct work into consideration and that is a VERY important part of the equation.

There is a loss in everything that formulas like those do not consider. Your boiler really does not have a overall efficiency rating of 85% most just measure exhaust temps and assume everything else is being converted to heat in your living space.

L

Like I said, most don't take efficiency losses in duct work into consideration and that is a VERY important part of the equation.

Well I guess your saying that would be true of any ducted system, gas,oil, pellet or heat pump?

Well I guess your saying that would be true of any ducted system, gas,oil, pellet or heat pump?
Yes, it certainly would be. Experiment with the link that I posted and look at the efficiency losses for various sealed and insulated systems in unheated and heated spaces. It's pretty sobering (not that being sober is better!).

Hey, STOWE!!! I was born and raised in Pottstown! Rode my bike to the airport in Stowe all the time to watch the planes.

Yes, it certainly would be. Experiment with the link that I posted and look at the efficiency losses for various sealed and insulated systems in unheated and heated spaces. It's pretty sobering (not that being sober is better!).

Seems very much a worse case scenario like running the ducts up the outside of your house :). My main duct for my upstairs goes into the attic basically up through the middle of the house and 6 ft in 4 directions for the rooms upstairs. When it was 95F out I decided to measure the temp drop the closest vent to the unit was 49F the furthest run was 53F. Ill have to try it when its -5F outside and see what the diff is. Interesting link...

1% or 100%?
Heat pump efficiencies can be 200-300% over standard electric resistance. Simply change the 100% in the electric chart to the heat pump rated efficiency.Good MIni splits are 200% and up. And there is no ductwork loss at all.Geo thermal is high but the up -front installation cost is sometimes a killer.

Here's a calc from a local coal company http://jeddocoal.com/calc.php

I have geothermal. My Dad has an EFM furnace that burns rice coal. Has been in the house since I was born 35 years ago.

That calculation at jeddocoal.com shows pellet stove efficiency at only 65%.
My stove says it's 85% efficient.
?? Is 65% closer to reality?

Status
Not open for further replies.