Heat Range question on an Englander 25pdv

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NHMOM

Dec 8, 2010
NHmtns

With the help from several people here on the forum, I changed the LFF and the LBA just this morning. Now my question is, (which may seem stupid to some) but about what number should the Heat Range be set at.

We've had it set at 1 since we started, as setting it at a higher number fed more pellets then what would actually burn. As in there would be a whole mess of pellets that would never burn at all.

We have the blower set at 8. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi NHMOM,

The LBA and LFF only are applicable at heat ranges 1 & 2. Any higher on the heat range and the combustion air and feed rates are set by the control board. If you are having un-burned pellets at higher than setting 1, I would start looking at your intake and exhaust routing. The stove should be able to easily provide enough air to go higher than setting #1. It sounds like your stove might be starving for air. Do you have a very dirty window quickly, even on setting #1?

Our stove currently runs on heat range #7 with the blower #9. If it stays on Heat Range 7 for a while, the burn pot will certainly fill up, but all of the pellets eventually burn. I've been getting very nice flames with minimal ash buildup.

The blower setting doesn't affect how the pellets burn, only how much air is blown into your room. The rule is that the blower setting needs to be at least as high as the heat range, or higher. If you're running on #8 blower with a heat range of #1, you're fine.

Hope this helps!

kofkorn said:
Hi NHMOM,

The LBA and LFF only are applicable at heat ranges 1 & 2. Any higher on the heat range and the combustion air and feed rates are set by the control board. Hope this helps!

That`s a myth , at least partially. However their tech dept. usually tell folks that it only affects the two lowest settings. It might well be true that control board does automatically control the feed rate at higher settings but the LFF and LBA also have a profound affect on the pellet feed .
I discovered that my 2008 , 25 PDVC responds just fine to those lower 3 buttons even when I set the heat range higher than 1 or 2.
It just isn`t instant. You have to allow 5+ minutes to see the change of amount of pellets pushed into the burn pot and the change in the fire itself.

Interesting, I'll have to take a look at that. It would be handy to have the actual operating logic, it would help me dial in the best burn depending on the pellet style.

You're right about the "Instant" part. The way these double augers work, the flame will go from barely out to blazing high at the same feed settings dependent upon where the upper auger is in rotation.

Hopefully Mike Holton can pop in and give us a little more detail on when the LFF and LBA are effective.

Thanks!

actually it depends on which model stove it is , which board and which revision chip it is. igniter boards it has play in higher ranges , in the "non igniter boards it only affects the lowest two settings (1-2) all top feed stoves it affects all settings , bottom feeders i will have to look it up to see what revision chip the change was made for , but as far as stoves with origional equipment built 2003 and prior (non igniter) the presets only affect heat ranges 1-2

film at 11 :)

stoveguy2esw said:
actually it depends on which model stove it is , which board and which revision chip it is. igniter boards it has play in higher ranges , in the "non igniter boards it only affects the lowest two settings (1-2) all top feed stoves it affects all settings , bottom feeders i will have to look it up to see what revision chip the change was made for , but as far as stoves with origional equipment built 2003 and prior (non igniter) the presets only affect heat ranges 1-2

film at 11 :)

This has to clear up much of the mystery of those 3 buttons. Thank you Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.