1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Heat Reclaimer on 8" flue pipe

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by etoh100, Jul 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. etoh100

etoh100 New Member

Loc:
    Central PA
    I have a Yukon Eagle wood/coal furnace that I just burn wood in and was wondering if I could mount the Magic Heat Reclaimer from NorthernTools on the 8" flue pipe that is oriented about 45 degrees upward from the furnace outlet to the hole in the basement wall where it enters the chimney. Info says it must be mounted vertically; any ideas why? Any other flue pipe heat reclaimers available that could be put on the 45 degree, 8" flue pipe? It sure gets HOT when the furnace is burning!! Thanks for any info or advice.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Those heat recalimers are creosote producers. They do blow a good amount of heat, but at the same time cool off your exhaust going up the chimney creating sticky gooey creosote. I tried one years ago and I had dripping black goo between my stove pipe connections. I wouldn't recommend it.
  3. Shane

Shane Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Casper Wyoming
    As far as needing to be mounted vertically I can't answer exactly why. But really they are creosote traps. I'm not sure about the efficiency of your wood furnace but if it's over 70% then I really wouldn't recommend one as your going ot affect your draft. The 15-20% of heat that is let go in newer efficient appliances is crucial to establish and maintain draft. You cut that down and Todds right you'll probably have a creosote factory on your hands.
  4. etoh100

etoh100 New Member

Loc:
    Central PA
    Thanks for the wise advice, guys. I get the point. I think I'll just leave the flue pipe as is and just keep roasting weinies and marshmallows over it for the perfect radiant heat it gives off. By the way, whenever I tap the flue pipe with a hammer, it sounds like a bunch of Pringles coming off the inside and sliding down towards the furnace outlet. I assume that's not a good thing; so how do I clean all the hardened "goo" out?? Thanks again.
  5. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    You need to do one of two things.

1. Get you an eight inch chimney brush, take the pipe apart and clean it out with the brush and put it back together, if the pipe isn't corroded too much. If it is getting thin, replace it.

2. On the other hand if it is just two or three pieces of single wall 24 gauge black pipe (which costs about five bucks a section) throw it the heck away and replace it.

But be sure and brush out that wall thimble and the rest of the chimney real good and be sure that there is a piece of pipe that passes all the way through the thimble to the chimney. Not that the pipe just stops at the wall where the thimble starts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.