Heat rising issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fazey

Oct 29, 2017
keyser, wv
Hi all,

Just to see if anyone can help..We recently moved to a rancher style house with an unfinished basement. The wood stove is in the basement directly underneath the living room. We have a register in the living area and one in each of the 3 bedrooms.

The stove says it's in the burn zone. There's about a 10 degree difference between the 2 floors, but we can't seem to get the main floor above 70 degrees.

Please excuse my ignorance on the topic, but greatly appreciate any help it suggestions!!

Is the basement insulated?

Your heating 2 floors with one stove. What is the total sqft of the home vs the size of the stove. What is the temp in the basement. The 2nd floor is at 70.. is that burning 24/7 or just a fire here and there
To be honest.. 70 isn't so bad.. what stove is it... some info will help

The stove is a high valley model 1600 with a blower on the back
Total sq footage of home: 2200 including basement
Temp in basement: 85 degrees
We've been trying to keep a smaller fire during the day and bigger at night lately, but did let it go out completely today.

We've been playing around with a fan in various locations of the basement just to see if that would do anything.

If you have basement steps set a fan blowing towards the stove at the bottom of the steps to jump start your convective loop, its always easier to move colder denser air then to move warmer less dense air. fyi your losing approx. 1/3 of your heat to the cinder block walls, insulation is a must, or relocate the stove to the main living floor.

So this is the first season? Cold weather isn't here yet. I don't think this will work.

Either move the stove upstairs, or insulated the basement walls & get rid of the insulation in the basement ceiling.

The best place to have your stove is where you spend the most time, then you can watch and tend to the fire and have the heat where you want it and can enjoy it the most. If you have a furnace in the house then you might have to run it some to supplement the wood stove but you’ll still enjoy lower heat bills if you can find wood for free or cheaply at least.

Last edited:
When you say the ceiling is insulated, are you talking above the top floor or in between the first and second floor? If in between the two floors then seems you are fighting a losing battle. Block walls and insulating the heat from the upper floor. Not gonna happen.

The best place to have your stove is where you spend the most time, then you can watch and tend to the fire and have the heat where you are at. If you have a furnace in the house then you might have to run it some to supplement the wood stove.
I completely disagree with this I see it here all the time but I absolutely do not want to sit in the room with a stove that is making enough heat to heat the whole house. I really prefer a basement stove. But the basement needs to be sealed and insulated. And you need to make sure you have a good circulation of air between levels.

Unfortunately not yet. Cinder block walls and insulation in the ceiling that's all.
About a third of the heat the stove is producing is going out the walls to heat mother nature. The quickest way to improve heating will be to insulate those walls or move the stove upstairs.
I completely disagree with this I see it here all the time but I absolutely do not want to sit in the room with a stove that is making enough heat to heat the whole house. I really prefer a basement stove. But the basement needs to be sealed and insulated. And you need to make sure you have a good circulation of air between levels.
It really depends on the house, the stove and the stove location. Our stove is in the living room with an open floor plan. The living room is comfortable and heat distribution is excellent. It's a near perfect balance. When we had the F400 the living room did get hotter and temperature swings were wider. That is no longer an issue.

Last edited:
About a third of the heat the stove is producing is going out the walls to heat mother nature. The quickest way to improve heating will be to insulate those walls or move the stove upstairs.

It really depends on the house, the stove and the stove location. Our stove is in the living room with an open floor plan. The living room is comfortable and heat distribution is excellent. It's a near perfect balance. When we had the F400 the living room did get hotter and temperature swings were wider. That is no longer an issue.
Yes it can be done but I find it much easier to heat from a lesser used space.

Many houses (including ours) do not have basements. And a basement install robs one of the fire view and the pleasure of warming one's buns when coming in from outside or when chilled. Pets also really like it when the warmth is close to the humans they love.

Many houses (including ours) do not have basements. And a basement install robs one of the fire view and the pleasure of warming one's buns when coming in from outside or when chilled. Pets also really like it when the warmth is close to the humans they love.
We still have plenty of warmth and at least half the time I go in through the basement anyway so plenty of bun warming opportunities.

We still have plenty of warmth and at least half the time I go in through the basement anyway so plenty of bun warming opportunities.
And yes I know many don't. It depends allot on the area here almost every house does

I thought about putting my stove in the basement and I even bought enough class A chimney to do so at first but I’m glad I put it on the main level in the great room after all. I’d hate to have to run downstairs to see where the fires at all the time....like... does it need more wood now or is it fine for now....? And I don’t get overheated by having the stove here by me, in fact I keep it between 65-68 in here All winter and the bedrooms stay around 60-62, perfect for sleeping imo. Plus one of my Coonhounds parks himself right in front of the stove on his dog bed all winter long. He wouldn’t be downstairs by himself I’m sure. But each to their own I guess....

Last edited:
I completely disagree with this I see it here all the time but I absolutely do not want to sit in the room with a stove that is making enough heat to heat the whole house.

My stove heats the whole house from the living room, and it doesn't get above 75 in there- but it's an open room with big arched doorways.

I dial in the stove to keep the living room at 70-75, and the rest sorts itself out.