Heat Settings.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sgmhill24

Oct 11, 2019
USA
I purchased a refurbished Mount Vernon AE pellet insert this year (2019) getting way with cutting and splitting 25 truckloads of wood for the winter season. So far I have had no major issues with this insert (40 day new owner) other than a small amount of smoke on startup, which I corrected with replacing the exhaust gasket with the correct one and re-placing the door gasket that had the seam on top, moved the seam to the bottom of the door.

I am guessing I will go through around 5 tons of pellets this year, maybe more or less, but not sure yet?

I want to ensure my settings are configured correctly and I’m looking for opinions from others that have a lot more experience with these stoves on getting the most heat from my stove without hurting the insert?

We have an old farm house (1900) about 1500 sq. The insert is in our living room that is 25x30 with a 20 foot celling. I have my stove set at 70 degrees during the day and 65 at night. So far we have not had to use the furnace which is my goal, since we are on propane. During cold days so far, 20/30 degrees I have my heat out-put set at Medium-high to high and my flame height set at zero. My heat differential set at 1 degree and my Temp Cal is set at -10, need to research this. I’m have cleaned out the stove 4 times so far, but I have not cleaned out the exhaust fan area yet. Looking at doing this about every month?

Any recommendations and or suggestions from long time users to get maximum performance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Welcome to the forum. You didn't say if you was running on auto or manual. Manual is your best bet for constant heat. And you don't need to remove the exhaust fan but once a year, after season, unless you have issues. Your flame height is your feed rate. You set that per manual. Stay warm. kap

Welcome to the forum. You didn't say if you was running on auto or manual. Manual is your best bet for constant heat. And you don't need to remove the exhaust fan but once a year, after season, unless you have issues. Your flame height is your feed rate. You set that per manual. Stay warm. kap

I keep in on Auto. Had it set on Med High heat out-put last night and went to bed and ran out of pellets. Filled it up and the system restarted within 10 min. I think that's pretty good.

In auto, the stove slows down the closer it gets to set temp. On manual, it is a constant heat till it gets to set temp. When it is spring and fall, auto is ok, but when it gets real cold, manual is what I prefer. Just personnel choice. kap

In auto, the stove slows down the closer it gets to set temp. On manual, it is a constant heat till it gets to set temp. When it is spring and fall, auto is ok, but when it gets real cold, manual is what I prefer. Just personnel choice. kap
I will try that. Thanks