Heat Sheilds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Shank

Nov 20, 2005
York, PA
I have been very happy with my Lopi Liberty on all but the coldest nights. Was wondering if I could get more heat out of my stove by removing the heat shields. It is in a unfinished basement with no combustibles anywhere near the stove. I was thinking about removing the side heatshiels and leaving the back on.(to help keep the air warm for blower) The blower is not stock but rather a small generic blow mount to an adapter. (Made from duct work).
So do think I can get more heat by removing the shield or adding a larger blower?Or any other option or ideas Besides moving the stove.

Thanks
Jay Shank

I doubt you'll see a huge effect. The sides shields are supposed to block some radiation, but they are also supposed to create a flow of natural convection air that helps to move hot air off the stove.

A larger blower might have a more positive effect, as long as you don't go so large that you're cooling off the stove. I wonder if the unfinished basement is insulated? If not, I think that would be my step one.

Spot on Corie. A proper sized blower and tighening up the basement should make a wonder of a difference. Time to get out the caulking gun and Great Stuff.

Corie said:
I doubt you'll see a huge effect. The sides shields are supposed to block some radiation, but they are also supposed to create a flow of natural convection air that helps to move hot air off the stove.

A larger blower might have a more positive effect, as long as you don't go so large that you're cooling off the stove. I wonder if the unfinished basement is insulated? If not, I think that would be my step one.

That what I was thought about the air movement. As far as the blower anyone know what size the stock blower is(not listed the manual)?Then i could find something in the same size.

The Basement is not insulated. Was partially before water damage. But I knew this would be an issue, so I got a big stove. But always have caulk and foam on hand.

thanks,

Jay Shank

hawkeye said:
Corie said:

That what I was thought about the air movement. As far as the blower anyone know what size the stock blower is(not listed the manual)?Then i could find something in the same size.

The Basement is not insulated. Was partially before water damage. But I knew this would be an issue, so I got a big stove. But always have caulk and foam on hand.

thanks,

Jay Shank

Here ya go.

Heat & Glo GFK-160A Fan Kit 160CFM The fan includes a rheostat to vary the fan speed and also includes a temperature sensor switch to enable the fan to turn on and off with the heat produced by the fireplace.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Heat-Glo-GFK-16...ryZ20564QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

This is what i have running to move air off of the stove. Bought from this seller too.

Attachments

• 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 361
  • 2b.JPG
    2b.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 342
Roospike, Why didn't you buy the blower specifically for the Pacific Summit? Was it the price, did you hear "bad" things about the Pacific blower? How quiet is the Heat and Glo blower you have
I am really close to buying either the Summit Classic in black porcelin with gold door or Summit with pedistal and gold trim. Man the decision is "killing" me, I thought having a newborn son was a lot of stress..........

Roospike said:
hawkeye said:
Corie said:

thanks,

Jay Shank

Here ya go.

Heat & Glo GFK-160A Fan Kit 160CFM The fan includes a rheostat to vary the fan speed and also includes a temperature sensor switch to enable the fan to turn on and off with the heat produced by the fireplace.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Heat-Glo-GFK-16...ryZ20564QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

This is what i have running to move air off of the stove. Bought from this seller too.

looks like a stock 1288 blower, 160cfm, we use this same setup in a cage for our inserts, usually very quiet and quite durable motor

Status
Not open for further replies.