Heat shield ideas for my Jotul Oslo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cleuci

Oct 14, 2014
concord, nh
Hi guys,
Installed my Jotul Oslo last season, and love it. What a great heater. My stove as you can see from the pic is a corner install, and it does meet the clearances from the manufacturer, however, considering I just have sheetrock behind it, and am challenged by my baseboard heater, I want to avoid building a permanent heat sheild into the corner walls. What I'd like to do is get some sore of freestanding heat shield for each side that I can simply keep for the burning months, then store in the basement offseason. I've been looking online for something but can't come up with a good solution. My quesiton is, could I do some sort of glass freestanding heatshield, or should it be sheetmetal? Was thinking of going to a local sheetmetal shop or again even do some sort of solid glass freestaning shield. Any ideas here?
I just want piece of mind, the sheetrock does get pretty hot. I've used an IR gun and it seems good but am paranoid a bit. Thanks for any help or ideas you can provide.
Chris
IMG_0997.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have any ideas for your walls. Nor do I recall the requirements for them. Is the sheet rock at proper distances an issue? But do you have the stoves rear heat shield? How about the pipe. Is it single wall? If so there is a rear shield. I have both of these plus distances that exceed the requirements. Still my cultured stone walls are pretty warm. Not hot enough to be concerned.

Thanks for your reply! Its a double wall telescoping pipe, straight up. I do just meet my stove clearances. The walls around my pipe going up don't get that hot, it's the walls to the sides of the stove that get the most hot. I do have a rear and bottom heat shield, so I got that going for me. I thought about maybe getting an offset pipe coming out of the stove and moving the stove out a bit out from the corner, but not sure even how much difference that would make.

Our Castine was the same way. These are radiant stoves and even though our F400 installation generously exceeded min. clearances I was not too comfortable with the hot walls behind the stove. This stove shield by SBI might help.
http://www.ruralking.com/wood-stove-heat-shield.html

I completely understand . . . our Oslo was installed and exceeded the clearance requirements, but the sheetrock wall got pretty hot so we eventually put up durock and a tile wall which has helped . . . at least with the piece of mind.

I am thinking in your case free standing sheet metal would help out quite a bit.

You could look for some kind of metal artwork or ornamental that you could hang over the hot areas and offset about an inch. Antique sawmill blade or tin ceiling. Something like that?

For piece of mind- just move the stove out a bit and offset the doublewall connection. That stove looks close in to the wall. Assume you gave up the side door loading?? The Oslo can produce some strong heat signatures off its sides and rear.

Status
Not open for further replies.