Heat Shield problem on Whitfield PF20 Fresstanding

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rph092772

Oct 31, 2010
Southern VT
Hey all,

Been lurking around here off and on for a couple years. Gotten lots of great insight to buring pellets and have really gotten very comfortable doing everything my stove has needed so far.

I was going through it today doing a top to bottom cleaning on it. Sorry i dont own a leaf blower so gotta do it the hard way. When I went to put the heat shield (or baffle) that hangs below the heat exhangers back on the screws, I overtightened it and the screw snapped off. This wouldnt be a big deal since the baffle stays in place nice and snug with one screw. How have i acquired this fine knowledge??? Well the first season i had the stove guess what i did?? yup same stupid thing on the other side. Soooo, now my stove has no heat shield guarding the exhangers.

two part question. how long can i run the stove without a heat shield? (BTW getting GREAT heat outta her now!!! could also be the agway/hamers?? pellets i got today to try) and without a tap set any great macguyver tricks to getting it out or alternative hanging methods??? drill new hole seems obvious but no idea how much space to either side i have to play with without making a bigger problem.

thanks all!!

Craig

Thanks for the advice. I'll give that a shot. Pretty sure that I dont have anything small enough to drill it out with now. There is like half a turn of a thread poking out. Tried this morning to get a pair of needle nose pliers on it and get it out that way. Couldnt get a good enough angle on it but I think (imagined??) i got maybe a quarter turn on it.

For now, I'm just keeping the heat on the low setting and keeping the flame height as minimal as I can. This unit should be retired to back up and ambience status in the next month or so as I'll be getting a pellet furnace. First choice would be a Traeger unit but cant seem to find a even relatively close dealer. Probably will end up with a Harman PF100. Got two dealers that I am smack dab in the middle their territories.

Look forward to any other thoughts or ideas!!!

Welcome to the forums VTPelleter,

One trick I use to remove screws is a left handed drill bit. Put the drill in reverse and attempt to drill out the screw. Most likely it will remove the broken screw(spin it right out) and not damage the threads. Use a punch to make a dimple in the old screw, Then use bit that is smaller than the screw diameter you are trying to remove. Sears also has a kit that is meant to do the about same thing.

On the furnace, Check out the St Croix Revolution. The reviews have been good on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.