heat shield removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohiofire

Nov 11, 2011
Southwest Ohio
My stove has a heat shield at the top of the firebox, that feels like its made of pretty weak material. I'm going to clean my chimney, and want to remove this so that the soot falls into the firebox, and not on top of the heat shield. There are three pipes, though, that run left to right at the top of the box. I think I might be able to get the shield out without taking off the pipes, but I don't want to break the shield in the process. Do I just unscrew the pipes and take them down? Advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

This is ceramic fiberboard and fragile. You may be able to gently lift it and move it to the front of the stove and create a straight down shot from the flue. Confirm this before cleaning from the top. It's easy to punch a hole in these boards.

PS: This is more than a heat shield, it is an important part of the stove that acts as both a flame baffle and insulation to keep the firebox hotter.

Reactions: ScotO
This question really cries out for having a copy of the manufacturer's owners manual in front of you. Perhaps it's available online. Rick

Reactions: ScotO
Some stoves use different (location specific) tubes, don't mix them up.

I looked at the manual for this info and it was missing. The maintenance section is woefully short. About all you get is a parts diagram.

Status
Not open for further replies.