Heat Shield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bully1

Jan 20, 2014
Northeast Ohio
Be gentle, I'm new to the forum. I inherited a Franklin Stove with the house when we bought it. Just recently did I learn that it's better to have the doors closed ( I told you I'm new!!!) I was going to make a heat shield with 2 sheets of 24 ga sheet metal, 48"x48" each. My plan: lift them off the ground by an inch each, connect them to each other with a gap of about 2 inches between them, and put a 60 degree roll at the top to help direct the heat into the room. It will not be connected to the wall, not an option at this point. I feel that this is the best I can do at this time. Oh, I'm getting the metal for free. Any advice, tips, comments....

Welcome. This stove can be risky business, especially for a neophyte. The air supply is difficult to regulate and the doors leaky. Why invest the time and money into an inefficient heater that is inherently somewhat dangerous compared to a newer stove?

Gentle Advice? Gently put the Franklin out to pasture. Buy something a bit less scary. If it has big brass balls on top of it, save them and you can set them on your next stove if you like.

Reactions: begreen
Status
Not open for further replies.