Heat Shields, etc...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ccady

Oct 25, 2008
Northwest, CT
Can anyone furnish a picture of a VC Vigilant with short legs and heat shields? The manual states that I have to install (2) heat shields on the bottom of the stove because I am using the short legs. For floor protection the manual states "1 1/2" of stone, slate, tile concrete, or any combination of these..." (a little vague) Due to clearance issues with the existing fireplace, hence the need for short legs, I am going to use three layers of wonderboard with a tile surface to cover the existing brick hearth and extend out 20" beyond the front of the stove...still seems a little risky as a portion of the stove will be over maple flooring.

One more question...is it necessary to have the sides of the wall protection (1/2 wonderboard spaced 1" off the wall) open like the top and bottom? My wife really hopes to be able to have the sides flush with wall.

Thanks!

ccady said:
For floor protection the manual states "1 1/2" of stone, slate, tile concrete, or any combination of these..." (a little vague) Due to clearance issues with the existing fireplace, hence the need for short legs, I am going to use three layers of wonderboard with a tile surface to cover the existing brick hearth and extend out 20" beyond the front of the stove...still seems a little risky as a portion of the stove will be over maple flooring.

One more question...is it necessary to have the sides of the wall protection (1/2 wonderboard spaced 1" off the wall) open like the top and bottom?
Thanks!

Sounds like fairly standard req. often the manual will give a req. K value for the material used. I would think you're ok with 3 layers + tile. You should have req. for the hearth to extend so many inches past the sides & rear as well as the front. Don't think any part of the stove should be directly over combustable material. The manual should list clearance to side combustable, the inch air space would be req. if you are going to be closer than the clearances listed. Do you have any pics of he install? is this an alcove install?

Here is a picture of the "install", more accurately, where I would like to install the stove. The VC manual does not state any R-factors required for the hearth pad. I am going to completely cover the existing hearth which will satisfy the 12" side clearance requirements, and I will come out at least 20" beyond the end of the existing hearth satisfying the 18" front clearance requirement. It is my hope that after installing the VC oval to round adapter and a clean-out tee, that I can still keep all the stove feet over the existing hearth. Beginning to think that it might just be easier to install a nuclear reactor in the fireplace!!

Attachments

• DSCN1244-1.JPG
    DSCN1244-1.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 245
Status
Not open for further replies.