Heat shields or not

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

utahdl

Jan 16, 2007
Recently purchased a harman p68 and had it professionally installed. Have been burning it over the last few days and have noticed the walls surrounding the stove get really hot. I am considering heat shields but am concerned it will take away from the look of the stove. It is a corner install and I am within the specifications (13"). Does anyone have pictures of what the stove would look like with the shields? The walls are lath and plaster, is it combustible?

Thanks
Dan

The stove is 13" away according to the Harman Specs. Should i simply use an ordinary thermometer to check the temp, or is something else more accurate? Also, are they easy to install, could I do it myself? Will that affect my isurance if I do it myself?

utahdl said:
The stove is 13" away according to the Harman Specs. Should i simply use an ordinary thermometer to check the temp, or is something else more accurate?
Infared thermometer, your hand whatever you got...... How hot is that wall
Someone will chip in on the allowable temp over ambiant, but till then I'll throw out a # of say 160* (total)
If you can hold your hand on the wall for more than 5 seconds I'd say it's not too hot........

EDIT...
from what i've heard its just a couple of screws and the ins co shouldn't care as you would be going above and beyond the clearance.
HarryBack could help you more on this......

I can hold my hand on the wall for more than 5 seconds. Will i lose heat with heat shields? Thanks for all the quick replies.

most of the heat should come thru the front of the stove with some help of the Distribution blower, I would think the side heat shields will just help insulate the heat from bleeding out of the sides.

utahdl said:
I can hold my hand on the wall for more than 5 seconds. Will i lose heat with heat shields? Thanks for all the quick replies.

Those heat shields are going to work just like the ones on my wood stove. When the stove is hot cool air is drawn in the bottom of them and exits as warm/hot air out of the top of them. Heat that is now radiating toward those walls will become convection heat coming out of the holes at the top of the shields as warm air.

utahdl said:

No - you won't lose any heat - in fact - you will probably be gaing some more, as BB said - you will probably bring out more "useable heat" into the room, rather than heating the walls.

If the walls are hot - I'd seriously think about putting the heat shields on the stove. It should be a pretty simple project. I don't think that would be any sort of "alteration" to the current setup that the insurance company would take issue with - in fact - they should be a little more comfortable with the fact that you are going a little "above and beyond" what you have installed there, especially if they are already comfortable with the current setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.