heat shields

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood burner12

Nov 28, 2014
south jersey
Hi all. I been doing a lot of research and asking alot of questions. One question I'm trying to figure out is a heat shield for my walls. I had a pleasant hearth install couple weeks ago and since then it has been inspected and passed.. my question is heat shields for the walls. It was installed according to the manf. Specs and then some. I'm trying to get my wall not so hot. I put herdibacker cement boards with a 1" gap but the walls are still getting hot near the side walls of the stove. The stove is corner install and has a heat shield mounted on the back of it. Could I put a bigger gap or could I cut the drywall and install the cement board directly to the studs or am I just being overly paranoid. This is my first wood stove so I'm try to learn as much as I can.. thank you

When the stove was installed according the the manufacturer's specs and passed inspection you should be fine. Do you have some pics and measurements? What do you mean with the wall still gets too hot? Any temps? And how hot is the stove?

The manf specs says 12" we put it at 16" from the wall to the corner of stove. Temp of the walls around the stove is around 90 degrees. I have a temp gauge on the pipe that runs about 300 still trying to get use to the stove to find a good burn rate. The stove is only a few months old.

Attachments

• 1417262217765.jpg
    1417262217765.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 147
90 degrees is not even remotely concerning. You have exceeded the clearance requirements and you should be just fine. I would not even begin to get concerned unless its getting over 125F or so, even that isnt very hot. The brick around my Hampton H300 typically gets anywhere from 84-98 and that is 5in clearance on the sides, and about 12in in the rear. The floor under it stays low 80s-90., floor in front of it ranges from 90-115 on average. It occassionaly will get to 125-145 for a few minutes during a real raging fire. This floor is ceramic tile on top of concrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.