Heat Storage - Water Tank - Setup for domestic HW and space heating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TarmMBSolo55

May 5, 2008
Western MA
If you had to "just buy one" what would you buy and where? I know that Tarm sells a setup that you can squeak in through a basement hatch, but I have a 80" high x 8 foot wide door I can bring one in through to my cellar. I live in Western, Mass.
I am heating 1,900 sq ft of cellar slab, 2,300 sq ft of baseboard high ceiling house, and eventually a 900 sq ft garage slab.
Thanks

TarmMBSolo55 said:
If you had to "just buy one" what would you buy and where? I know that Tarm sells a setup that you can squeak in through a basement hatch, but I have a 80" high x 8 foot wide door I can bring one in through to my cellar. I live in Western, Mass.
I am heating 1,900 sq ft of cellar slab, 2,300 sq ft of baseboard high ceiling house, and eventually a 900 sq ft garage slab.
Thanks

Because of the transportation costs, storage tanks are not a commodity item. If I had to start from scratch, I'd look to see what my friendly local scrapyards and farmers had. A stainless milk bulk tank is good. I'd also see if I could find a pair of 500 gallon propane tanks. While we don't have the 20 year experience with using propane tanks as pressurized storage, my gut says that's a good way to go. Bottom line is that the best deal is likely a used tank that's nearby.

One of the reasons I like the two 500 gallon propane approach is that it would allow you to achieve a greater degree of stratification. That's extremely important in my application.

Status
Not open for further replies.