Heat Thermometer location on a jotul 550

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2010
Southern NH
Hi,

I just had a Jotul c550 Rockland insert installed and I'm trying to do my break in fires. I got a magnetic thermometer and I'm just trying to find out where to put it on the insert. I put it on the face just above the door. (on the insert, not on the surround). On my first fire, I had the thermometer at 180. The next fire was 220 and I had quite a bit of wood in the insert. I just could not get it above 220. I put the thermometer on the glass to see what it was reading and it was around 500 degrees. I'm just trying to figure out where to put it so I get the right readings. Maybe I just need to build a larger fire. According to the Jotul web site, the first fire should be 200, then 300, then 400, then you are good to go. I have been burning for over 1.5 hours now and it is only at 220. Do I just need to load it more, or is there a better spot for the thermometer?

Any/all help is appreciated for a new comer.

Thanks

Dean

I like to set them on top of the unit. You will have to turn it so you can see the burn range easily. I recommend the right side right where the blower air exits. You will have true readings when the fan isnt on and that will be enough to let you know you are running it hot enough. The other thing to keep in mind is turning the air down will produce more heat. Your air control is also the damper in a sense. So by slowing down the draft more heat stays in the unit.

Thanks for the response. The problem with this insert is that it is flush with the fireplace wall. I can't place the thermometer on top. Right now I have it on the front between the door and where the air comes out from the blower. The manual said to keep the damper opened all the way for the first 3 fires so that's what I did. I also have the fans blowing so maybe that's why it's not getting too hot.

I manged to get this fire up to 270 or so on the front panel just above the left hand side of the door. I don't see the secondaries burning yet, so I think I need to some how get the fire hotter. My first fire was just kindling, but the 2nd fire was a couple of small splits. This fire (my third) has bigger splits in it. It's been burning for almost 2.5 hours and I'm only at 270. It does look like I have the center of the glass being cleaned, but the outside edges are a little dirty.

This is my first wood insert and only my 3rd fire in it. I'm just nervous about breaking this in right. Probably have lots of newbie type of questions this season.

Thanks for any help

Dean

I should also say that I believe that the wood is pretty dry. Before the insert, I was using this wood in the fireplace and didn't see any sap/liquid coming out of the ends like I did when I bought the wood. The wood has been split and stacked outside for 3 years. Not covered, but this is down about 2 feet from where it was all year.

Dean

The location I was recommending was the slot where your air blows out. There really isnt a good spot on any insert to place one. So you have to go with the best of what you have. I understand you cant set it on top of the unit because it is flush. You will see a huge difference in heat once you let it rip. Make a good starter fire and get a bed of coals going. Once you have a good bed of coals load the unit up and let the load catch(maybe 10-20 mins everyone is different) then turn back the air control to 50% then 25%. You will see a lot of heat at that point! And should start to see your secondaries too!

Jotulguy,

Thanks! This helps alot. Since this is my 3rd fire, I'll just leave the air control where it is. I just looked and it is up to 300. To me, this insert is cranking now. I can't imagine the heat I will get out of it when I can get it to 500-600 degrees. I just turned the fan down to see if I can get it up to 350. I'm going to let it run out tonight so I can go to bed. I should be ok to crank it up tomorrow night. I'll post my results then. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Dean

There have been a few threads on this with pictures if you search. It was a problem for me when I first started, but near the center in the slot with 500 pointing out is how I do it. I like to cruise between 500 and 650 and not reload until it hits around 400. Once in awhile it will soar above 700 but the Jotul never seems to have an issue. Keep a flashlight handy, but it is kind of nice keeping the thermostat out of sight anyway. Rake the coals forward to keep the glass clean, put a big split in the back (it will take longer to burn) and smaller splits up front. Give it full air on a reload, after full of flames lower halfway, get the wood charred before you shut the air real low(might take 10 minutes or more), or you can get creosote buildup. Better to run a little hot than cold.

Thanks for everyones help. I moved the thermometer to the slot and got a much more accurate reading. With my fire tonight, I had it on the front with a small fire and it was reading about 150, then moved it to the slot on top and it was reading about 400. WOW, I guess my break in was not quite right as far as the temps were concerned, but I put the thermometer where the dealer suggested. My fire tonight quickly went up to 700 and then turned on the fan and it went down to 500. I guess the next part is trying to figure out the air control and the fan speed.

Thanks again for all the excellent help.

Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.