Heatalator-Will a pellet insert work with this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vernatod

Jan 6, 2009
Western Oregon
I have a Heatalator (don't know if that is spelled right) in a 50+ year old home. The unit is installed with a complete
surround of masonary. It never did work too well, smoked into the room and didn't make any noticeable heat. For at least the last 20 years it has not been used and is sealed off with some glass doors. I don't know if this is what is referred to as a zero-clearance unit I see mentioned in some of the posts. I have seen some pellet stove inserts on craigs list that state words like "not intended to be used in a metal fireplace or to be used only in masonary fireplaces. Is there normally a problem installing a pellet stove insert in this type of unit? Thanks

I had a similar fireplace, but in a newer home. It was a Heatillator and not a zero clearence fireplace, so they were able to put a wood insert into it. Well worth the money! I'm sure some of the more experienced burners on this site will have more to offer you. Maybe if you post some pics they can get a better idea of your set up. Wouldn't hurt to have a pro come out and do a site inspection either. Good luck.

The best thing you can do is just start un-screwing all the screws you can see in the fireplace. Get rid of as much of the excessive metal as you can. You need to get space more than anything in this type of fireplace. Even after that you may be limited on the inserts you can place in there. Fortunatly I was able to squeeze a small Lopi and a Harmen Insert (with 37 lbs hopper) into mine. But make sure you attach the sticker that states the fireplace has been modified for pellet stoves to the inside of the fireplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.