Heaters or Nature's Harvest from HD

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dartfrogz

Nov 20, 2014
ct
Our Home Depot is out of stove chows. All that's left is heaters and nature's harvest. Is one any better than the other? I'm not sure if it matters/helps but our pellet stove is a Englander pdvc 25 but an older one..mid 90s

This is my first season using a pellet stove so all pellets are very new to me and not sure how they burn..

Ty

I bought 10 bags of Heater's and HATE them.

Reactions: dartfrogz
Try a bag, maybe you'll have better luck!

I bought 6 bags of Heat'rs recently. The Heat'rs run about 10% hotter in my stove than the Fireside Ultras and Stove Chows. One bag made a bunch of ash, but it may have been a bad bag as the others burned cleaner. They do hang up on the hopper - lost fire 2x in 6 bags, which was rather alarming.

I've been burning Heatr's this year.
They burn quite hot in our P43 with not to much ash. Glass needs to be wiped every three or four days. Not much carbon in the pot.
Some of them have been sticky in the hopper, but we never let ours get close to running out so no big deal here.
Out of about 30 bags, we got one bag with ALOT of sawdust/fines. Mixed them up good and added some Greenway's to the mix and burned it right up.
I have no problems with them, I'll buy 'em again.

Our HD also had a lot of Heatr's at the beginning of the season, and still gets them in from time to time. I tried a few bags and liked them just fine. So I ended up buying 4 tons and dragging another 20/30 bags home a bit at a time. They have worked well for me even on our coldest nights so far. I have not experienced the 'sticking to the hopper' issue that others have reported.

I wrote to the manufacturer and learned that they are a hard/soft blend. I find the heat great. While the volume of ash may be a bit higher than other pellets I have burned, it is very light and almost fluffy in my stove. No big deal at all. On balance, in my stove, a real good pellet.

I wrote to the manufacturer and learned that they are a hard/soft blend. I find the heat great. While the volume of ash may be a bit higher than other pellets I have burned, it is very light and almost fluffy in my stove. No big deal at all. On balance, in my stove, a real good pellet.

I tried a few brands out here in the $5/bag range. That has meant Sierra Supreme, Blazers, and Heat'rs. Lignetics have been $8/bag for red label, so I haven't tried them.

Heat'rs have been ashy, but the SS and Blazers are longer pellets and make the clunking noise when they burn. I've decided to stay with the Heat'rs, since the clunk scares me. I've had the fire go out once, but aside from that, I'm happy. Daily cleaning, weekly vacuuming.

I have a new Lopi AGP, and have burned only 25 bags so far, so my experience base is pretty low.

I went through 20 bags of Heat'rs. They do stick but as long as you keep an eye on your hopper, pushing the pellets down once in while it's not a real problem. I just made sure the hopper was full before I went to bed or left for work.

If you're near a Tractor Supply Company, you should also check with them to see what they have for pellets. Their TSC brand is always a mystery but most people here in southern NH give them good reports.

I had to swap out a bag of moisture damaged green supremes at home depot so I chose a bag of heatrs. I looked at the pellets them self and they look like mud. Like somebody stuck mud thru the pellet machine.

I had to swap out a bag of moisture damaged green supremes at home depot so I chose a bag of heatrs. I looked at the pellets them self and they look like mud. Like somebody stuck mud thru the pellet machine.

So did they burn?

So I got the name wrong lol nations choice is the correct name of the other brand.

We had literally 3 bags of crowd left. I went to our hd and they were out. Called about 4 other hd's and found 1 store with 4 pallets left of the above brand. We bought a pallet and a single bag.

Pallet is still at the store we have to borrow my father's trailer to bring them home. But we are burning the single bag..

They are so horrible! I could cry! Normally with the chows the top of our old pellet stove was HOT. Threw off nice radiant heat. I can put my hand all over the stove with these pellets :(

Chows I run my stove on 2-4. And it makes it nice in here, at times we turn it right off.

These natures crap I mean choice, my stove was at 5-5 for 2+ hours and then kicked down to 2-4 and like I said the top isn't even hot.

Does anyone know if they receive stove chows b4 we pick up the pallet would they allow us to switch brands?

Unless you're completely out or seriously low... avoid these!!! (We were seriously low-bouy 5 bags left of the chows)

So I got the name wrong lol nations choice is the correct name of the other brand.

We had literally 3 bags of crowd left. I went to our hd and they were out. Called about 4 other hd's and found 1 store with 4 pallets left of the above brand. We bought a pallet and a single bag.

Pallet is still at the store we have to borrow my father's trailer to bring them home. But we are burning the single bag..

They are so horrible! I could cry! Normally with the chows the top of our old pellet stove was HOT. Threw off nice radiant heat. I can put my hand all over the stove with these pellets :(

Chows I run my stove on 2-4. And it makes it nice in here, at times we turn it right off.

These natures crap I mean choice, my stove was at 5-5 for 2+ hours and then kicked down to 2-4 and like I said the top isn't even hot.

Does anyone know if they receive stove chows b4 we pick up the pallet would they allow us to switch brands?

Unless you're completely out or seriously low... avoid these!!! (We were seriously low-bouy 5 bags left of the chows)

OK damn auto correct

My post was supposed to say 3 bags of chows.

Then later on towards the end of the post it says about 5 bags of chows left. (That was after my wife informed me there was more than 3 bags left. Should of fixed it above but forgot about it

Sorry for confusion

I really like the heat'rs. I gave up on them when I had my 25 ep because they stuck to the hopper so bad. But now with my p43 they feed just fine. Burn pot stays cleaner than with h Hamer's Hot ones ultra mega premium.

I'd buy a couple bags of the Heat'rs to see if they stick to your hopper and if they don't, pull the trigger. If Home Depot has them in the fall next year, I will buy 3 tons.

I really like the heat'rs. I gave up on them when I had my 25 ep because they stuck to the hopper so bad. But now with my p43 they feed just fine. Burn pot stays cleaner than with h Hamer's Hot ones ultra mega premium.

I'd buy a couple bags of the Heat'rs to see if they stick to your hopper and if they don't, pull the trigger. If Home Depot has them in the fall next year, I will buy 3 tons.

Dittos. Maybe they only do well in the Hudson Valley?

I got a dozen bags of heat'rs back before Thanksgiving to try them out. Twice had the fire go out due to them sticking to the hopper sides. Burned OK, decent heat, low ash.

Sam

No complaints about Heaters.

They work great for me.

I don't really notice much difference between brands. I only buy the cheap stuff though.

I have Heatr's this year. The seem to produce good heat and acceptable ash, but they sure do stick to the hopper. My PAH holds three bags, and if I don't push them down towards the auger the stove will go out with over a bag of pellets still left in it. I ran some Timber Heat pellets from a friend and didn't have this problem, I know it's the pellets. Other than that issue, which is solved by pushing them down a few times a day, they are working pretty good. Not much for fines which is nice, and they seem to burn cleaner that some other brands I've encountered.

Picked up 8 bags of Heatr's from a local HD and have to say I was very happy with the first bag. Really nice heat comparable to my AWF UPWP's. Someone mentioned a funny smell and I do agree, out of the bag they smell like the old pressboard wood. Also if I look closely at the pellets you can clearly see different types of wood in there.

Picked up 8 bags of Heatr's from a local HD and have to say I was very happy with the first bag. Really nice heat comparable to my AWF UPWP's. Someone mentioned a funny smell and I do agree, out of the bag they smell like the old pressboard wood. Also if I look closely at the pellets you can clearly see different types of wood in there.

I think they smell just like the laminate flooring I put in my house after it was cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.