Heaters suitable under 6 feet ceiling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith Wheat

Apr 23, 2013
western MA
I would like to install a medium to large wood burning appliance in a basement. The ceiling is just higher than 6 feet and is open floor joists. Most appliances are specified for installation under a ceiling that is at least 7 feet. Does anyone know of a heater that is permitted for operation under a 6 feet combustible ceiling? I am 6 feet tall and do not want to be bumping my head on shields or any other ceiling treatment.

Keith, I have a very similar situation at my place-( basement area, we call it the "bonus room", 74" ceiling height but 330 sq. ft.) This is where the NC-13 is going to go. According to a very well respected member of this forum,(not going to put him on the hook by naming him), we need to look at the charts, specifically NFPA 211, table 13.6.1- page 45 in the current edition. I appear to be code compliant, as you should be,...depending. As long as it's not an alcove installation, you'll probably be OK. Check those requirements, and give the Englander Stove Works a shot. Some people on this forum seem to like their stoves, and I've heard they are happy to help and give advice. Just say'in.;)

Without a heat shield on the ceiling Keith, I think you will run into some narrow choices. Is there any possibility of putting the stove where you need the heat, on the first floor? That would be a better option. If not, look at stove installation requirements. I think Blaze King has some stoves that are ok with less than 7ft. ceiling clearance. Take a look at the Princess for starters.

PS: Hope the basement walls, joist spaces and sills are insulated. Otherwise about a third of the heat is heading outdoors.

Status
Not open for further replies.