1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Heaters suitable under 6 feet ceiling

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Keith Wheat, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Keith Wheat

Keith Wheat New Member

Loc:
    western MA
    I would like to install a medium to large wood burning appliance in a basement. The ceiling is just higher than 6 feet and is open floor joists. Most appliances are specified for installation under a ceiling that is at least 7 feet. Does anyone know of a heater that is permitted for operation under a 6 feet combustible ceiling? I am 6 feet tall and do not want to be bumping my head on shields or any other ceiling treatment.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Colorado- near the Divide
    Keith, I have a very similar situation at my place-( basement area, we call it the "bonus room", 74" ceiling height but 330 sq. ft.) This is where the NC-13 is going to go. According to a very well respected member of this forum,(not going to put him on the hook by naming him), we need to look at the charts, specifically NFPA 211, table 13.6.1- page 45 in the current edition. I appear to be code compliant, as you should be,...depending. As long as it's not an alcove installation, you'll probably be OK. Check those requirements, and give the Englander Stove Works a shot. Some people on this forum seem to like their stoves, and I've heard they are happy to help and give advice. Just say'in.;)
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Without a heat shield on the ceiling Keith, I think you will run into some narrow choices. Is there any possibility of putting the stove where you need the heat, on the first floor? That would be a better option. If not, look at stove installation requirements. I think Blaze King has some stoves that are ok with less than 7ft. ceiling clearance. Take a look at the Princess for starters.

PS: Hope the basement walls, joist spaces and sills are insulated. Otherwise about a third of the heat is heading outdoors.