Heathstone Castleton vs Buck Model 74

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ET160

Sep 12, 2014
Maryland
I'm looking to install one of these two in a double sided fireplace (open to two rooms). The Hearthstone looks great and is the best looking on the back, which will be seen from one room. It's a little small, though, and will heat about 1,500 sq ft. supposedly. The Buck is a bigger stove and heats to 2,500 sq. ft. but is ugly on the back. I realize that it's a trade off and mostly personal preference, but does anyone have either of these stove and have any insight? They'd cost about the same, as the Hearthstone qualifies for a Maryland rebate.

I'm looking to install one of these two in a double sided fireplace (open to two rooms). The Hearthstone looks great and is the best looking on the back, which will be seen from one room. It's a little small, though, and will heat about 1,500 sq ft. supposedly. The Buck is a bigger stove and heats to 2,500 sq. ft. but is ugly on the back. I realize that it's a trade off and mostly personal preference, but does anyone have either of these stove and have any insight? They'd cost about the same, as the Hearthstone qualifies for a Maryland rebate.
I have the Buck 74 in a 2-sided fireplace. It fits just about flush on the backside opening. We left the slide across screen on the backside ...could also add a decorative screen. From that side you can't tell there is a stove in the fireplace because of the screen, but the warmth is nice for people at the dining room table. We've been very happy with the Buck 74. The front side is on the lowest level of a 4 level house and does a great job.

Status
Not open for further replies.