Heatilator BC36R inner walls...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burningntexas

Sep 28, 2008
Dallas TX
Hello all,
I am new here and honestly, never thought I would find a forum like this for fireplaces but I am glad I did. My wife and I bought a new home 4 years ago and it came with a 36" Heatilator BC36R woodburning fireplace. It's pretty small and not very good quality but it works for what we need so we use it. Well, the inner walls are made of a fibrous terra cotta like material. The side, bottom and back walls are all cracked and degraded and I was told that is dangerous.
I need to replace them but I don't know what these things are called. They are the panels that line the inside of the fireplace. I had a chimney sweep tell me to get a firebacker and I am cool with that but what about the bottom and side walls? I don't know where to get these and the internet has resulted in no results except Heatilators website that doesn't even list this model. Help! Is there anything I can replace these with?

btw.. a friend told me I could pull the existing panels out, and use them to make molds to cast my own cement versions of these panels. He said I could use common quickrete to cast the replacement panels. Is this true? I really don't want to burn my house down.

btw.. if nobody knows the answer to this can you atleast point me in the right direction to find out? Please, I love my fireplace but cannot burn it this winter if I don't get this resolved. Help?!?!

Ok, I found that perlite concrete is what gas fireplace logs are made of. Surely I can use this to make my walls out of? I found this on Perlite's site.

Perlite lightweight concrete is used in many different applications. These include lightweight tile mortar, garden sculpture, decorative brick, gas-fireplace logs and floor fills.

There was a post on here about a place where you could get refractory materials from to replace broken pieces. I did a search and can't seem to find it, maybe one of the others here can find it for you.

Good luck!

BTW- I'm no expert by any means but I wouldn't put quickrete in that hot of an application. I have been told that concrete can literally blow apart from extreme temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.