Heatilator Cab50 issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MRB157

Jan 27, 2024
Hampstead,MD
I have a heatilator CAB50 that the auger motor went up on after my son put wet pellets in(basically sawdust) replaces the motor and now the flame stays very low or almost non existent and it’s randomly sending sparks throughout the burn chamber. Ash is now black instead of the grayish white it used to be.
IMG_1106.jpeg

Where did you get the auger motor from?
What is its RPM
The Cab 50 calls for a 2.4 RPM motor ( not industry standard)
most by not all stoves call for 1 or 2 Rpm motors
You may have the wrong auger motor installed
Welcome to the forum

Where did you get the auger motor from?
What is its RPM
The Cab 50 calls for a 2.4 RPM motor ( not industry standard)
most by not all stoves call for 1 or 2 Rpm motors
You may have the wrong auger motor installed
Welcome to the forum
I got it from a dealer who matched it to the model. Paid a little more for OEM

When was the last time the stove was cleaned from air intake to exhaust termination?
Or how many tons of pellets since the last cleaning?

Did you clean the fire pot and make sure the pot door is closed?
Do you have a manual?

Fire pot is cleaned
Did you clean the fire pot and make sure the pot door is closed?
Do you have a manual?
fire pot is cleaned thoroughly, door closed. I have a digital manual of it physical has been lost for as long as I can remember. Been looking on there and haven’t found an answer yet. Some people online are suggesting too much air im not sure from where though.

Did you clean the auger?
Maybe there is a lot of wet (now dried) dust stuck to
it reducing the amount of pellets being transported.
To much air gives you an intense fire but very clean
to little air gives you a dirty burn (dark ash)
Your fire shows a lot of air blowing the ash from the pot
but not enough pellets feeding into it

I agree with johneh. It is very likely that you changed the feed control when you changed the auger motor. Inside the hopper, there is a feed adjustment control rod: pull the feed adjustment control rod up to increase the feed rate, push down to decrease the feed rate. You may want to set the Heat Output Switch to the 'medium' or 'high' level and observe the flame height first. If the flame height is not satisfactory at "low" heat level, you may need to adjust the feed control rod.