Heatilator Constitution auto fan inoperative

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

topknot

Jul 9, 2012
North Central Missouri
I had my FP installed in late November and have had several fires in it - it works great - but for one thing. The fan only works when I flip the switch. It does not come on in the automatic (temperature regulated) mode.

The local distributor told me via email to call the Heatilator customer service number and have them "walk me through" troubleshooting. So, I called them and the CS rep who answered the phone told me to call the distributor again and that they should troubleshoot it... Left a voicemail for the distributor point of contact today and waiting for a return call. I am not too worried, just hoping someone at some point helps me out. I paid a lot for this unit.

I finally got the firebox all clean and vacuumed out yesterday and got the access panel on the firebox floor opened up. All wires look to be connected.

I do have one question though... What I assume to be the snap disk (mounted directly under the firebox floor plate) is loosely held in it's bracket. It is not making constant contact with the steel floor plate. You can rattle it around. Is it supposed to be held firmly against the plate?

Here is a picture looking at the bracket/switch from the side:
3FEB5C26-orig.jpg

Here is another straight on (bottom of the floor plate):
F43D5C5A-orig.jpg

Yes it is to be in direct contact. Maybe you can bend it closer. I think some folks here use magnets to hold it closer ? Be wary as one side of the disk will have 120vac at least!!! Better to unplug first!

Reactions: topknot
Haha, thanks PWF! I did disconnect it and bent the bracket so the disk is in contact ith the base plate now.

Before I replace the firebrick and light another fire, I'm going to wait for the distributor to call me back and see if he has any other thoughts. Will post back though when I get this sorted.

Thanks, and thanks to Village Idiot for the suggestions.

OK, a quick update. The distributor called me back and I told him what I had read here, and he confirmed that it was most probably the issue.

Bending the bracket so that the snap disk was in direct contact with the steel baseplate did indeed "fix" the problem. The fan kicked on and later shut off without a problem during my test burn last night.

fyi.. on newer epa freestanding stoves (atleast all the stoves I've seen built by SBI Canada), the snap disc doesn't touch the steel on the stove. Instead, they have a solid ring welded to the backside of the stove which creates an air chamber for the disc to sit in. Means the blower doesn't come on till the stove has warmed up.

Just something to consider... having the snap disc touching the metal of the stove may cause your blower to come on too soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.