Heatilator conversion question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cindyliz

Nov 4, 2010
Lake Tahoe, CA
I have a Heatilator model 3138 fireplace. I would like to install a woodburning stove on the hearth with a metal panel in the fireplace opening and the wood stove flu/ducting going up the heatilator chimney. I'm hoping for more heat by placing the wood stove on the hearth and blocking the fireplace opening, instead of installing a fireplace insert.

Will the woodstove pipe cause any problems in the Heatilator chimney?

Cindyliz said:
I have a Heatilator model 3138 fireplace. I would like to install a woodburning stove on the hearth with a metal panel in the fireplace opening and the wood stove flu/ducting going up the heatilator chimney. I'm hoping for more heat by placing the wood stove on the hearth and blocking the fireplace opening, instead of installing a fireplace insert.

Will the woodstove pipe cause any problems in the Heatilator chimney?

You will hafta install an insulated liner with a tee & a short section of
connector from the tee to the flue collar on the stove.
You will hafta increase your hearth to get the necessary protection.
Your metal panel can ONLY cover the opening for the doors.
Any louvers must remain uncovered for air flow/cooling reasons.
HTH...

Cindyliz -

I think you're on the right track.

I did what you're asking about. I cut though the upper rear of the Heatalator unit to allow a 6" rigid stainless chimney liner to pass straight down the existing chimney. I have a 'T' in the existing fireplace to make cleaning easier. I added about 20" of marble on top of Durock to extend spark protection in front of the existing hearth where the stove sits. I didn't do anything to close up the existing fireplace opening. It's still open enough that I can vacuum once in a while. A good deal of heat from the stove pipe does come out thought the fireplace opening.

This set up is working well. I would do it again. I'd be happy to answer any questions from whoever is going to do the install.

ATB,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.