Q&A Heatilator/converting to Gas Logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a wood burning Heatilator, model HB36A1. We use the fireplace for supplemental heat approximately five hours a day. The amount of heat from this fireplace is barely sufficient for our needs. I would like to install vent free gas logs, but Heatilator indicates that only vented logs can be used in this enclosure. Are there any modifications or adapters that I can use that will allow me to use nonvented or partially vented gas logs in this enclosure or any other way to increase its heat output? If I do convert to a vented gas log, will I receive more heat than obtained from a wood fire?

Answer:

As you have found out, regular pre-fab wood burning fireplaces are not designed for heat. Either are most vented gas logs...for that matter, even vent free logs are not made to use for more than a few hours a day (at most).
Solutions:

1. One set of partial vented logs, called the SmartFire (by Monesson) does a good job of throwing heat into the room.

2. Vent-Free - The approvals on the vent free set you purchase may override the fact that Heatilator does not like Vent-free in their units. Call the manufacturer of the particular gas logs that you choose.

3. A vented gas fireplace insert will produce heat and can be used for much longer periods.

Status
Not open for further replies.