1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Q&A Heatilator/converting to Gas Logs

Post in 'Questions and Answers' started by QandA, Oct 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QandA

QandA New Member Staff Member

Question:

I have a wood burning Heatilator, model HB36A1. We use the fireplace for supplemental heat approximately five hours a day. The amount of heat from this fireplace is barely sufficient for our needs. I would like to install vent free gas logs, but Heatilator indicates that only vented logs can be used in this enclosure. Are there any modifications or adapters that I can use that will allow me to use nonvented or partially vented gas logs in this enclosure or any other way to increase its heat output? If I do convert to a vented gas log, will I receive more heat than obtained from a wood fire?

Answer:

As you have found out, regular pre-fab wood burning fireplaces are not designed for heat. Either are most vented gas logs...for that matter, even vent free logs are not made to use for more than a few hours a day (at most).
    Solutions:

1. One set of partial vented logs, called the SmartFire (by Monesson) does a good job of throwing heat into the room.

2. Vent-Free - The approvals on the vent free set you purchase may override the fact that Heatilator does not like Vent-free in their units. Call the manufacturer of the particular gas logs that you choose.

3. A vented gas fireplace insert will produce heat and can be used for much longer periods.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.