Heatilator GNDC36L propane stopped burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joe_pinehill

Nov 29, 2008
nj
My heatilator was working fine last night. Then went out. I can light the pilot , but it will not stay on, after holding the valve down for 1 minute.

It is a push button magneto ignition with standing pilot light

Any suggestions for trouble shooting?

Last edited:
Do you have a multimeter? Set it to Millivolts DC & take a reading on the Thermopile.
You need to take a reading at the TH-TP & TP terminals on the gas valve...
The reading should be above 325mV, & ideally around 550mV.
If you don't get good numbers, replace the T-Pile.
You can get a Universal Millivolt Generator at True Value or Ace Hardware for about $50.

Do you have a multimeter? Set it to Millivolts DC & take a reading on the Thermopile.
You need to take a reading at the TH-TP & TP terminals on the gas valve...
The reading should be above 325mV, & ideally around 550mV.
If you don't get good numbers, replace the T-Pile.
You can get a Universal Millivolt Generator at True Value or Ace Hardware for about $50.

Is that the reading when the Thermopile is cold?

The thermopile measured 430mV steady state. And the pilot stayed on, and the fireplace lit.

Could this be an intermittent in the thermopile? I think it says the valve is probably ok?

Could mean the T-Pile is failing. They generally fail over a period of days,
rather than just suddenly stopping...I would get a back up just in case.
Valves very seldom fail.

Could mean the T-Pile is failing. They generally fail over a period of days,
rather than just suddenly stopping...I would get a back up just in case.
Valves very seldom fail.

Yes, for $30 I think its worth having. The fireplace is really just decorative. I was going to order this one. Thanks for your help. First gas fireplace Ive had, all my experience is with pellets.

http://www.stove-parts-unlimited.com/Quadrafire-Heat-Glo-and-Heatilator-Thermopile-p/2103-512.htm

Reactions: DAKSY
Could the limit switch have stopped the burner. I had the fireplace on last night, and it ran for hours. That could explain why I couldnt relight the burner when it did shut off?

Daksy, I believe you are correct, only wires going to the valve are the wall switch and thermopile.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.