Heatilator go 150 nat (4-95) -- shutting o

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bridgemonger

Dec 12, 2016
United States
Hello!

So before I get to the problem I will preface that (suspicious it could be related - two items) I replaced the glass gasket today. And I adjusted the logs a bit. (Standing pilot)

The first time the shut off occurred it happened after about 20 minutes. Happened again about the same time. The third startup, I ran I stop watch and it made it to 50 minutes. Absolutely no problem sparking. I do have to turn the vale off and back before I restart.

Suspect 1)

There was soot/smoke on the glass from some of the original seal turning inward and burning a bit last year. It also made clear trails, of what I assume, was air intake from gaps in the seal. When first lit, everything is mostly blue, but after 5 minutes or so, there's some nice yellow tips and a bit of body. I hope of the 3 suspects I have it would possibly be that the airflow isn't the greatest and the reason there was no problem previously was because of the gaps in the seal letting helper air in.

Sort of does not make sense to me though. That it would burn for this long and suddenly the airflow is affected. But, could be related to heat buildup as well?

2) When I repositioned the logs, I now noticed that. There is a large flame that builds pretty much right on top of the pilot. It does not seem very turbulent at the base. But, this could be the culprit I don't have the patience to steakout and catch. Wouldn't hurt to reposition anyhow, and perhaps try to blow some air through the chimney in the process.?.

3) The thermocouple thingymabob is dirty and needs to be cleaned, or is bad and needs to be replaced? It seems that some people indicate that there is an overheat safety feature incorporated into the thermocouple doosermahicky. The unit doesn't seem to be overly hot to me, but I am aware that dirt could help insulate this thing and help it over heat? Something here seems most likely to me but again, amount of time it works just fine throws me off. Will update with a you tube link.

Last edited:
If you moved the logs, away from the pilot area, you may have corrected the problem.
There is a thermopile in there that may get overheated if heat is trapped near it.
By moving the logs, you eliminated the "Heat Pocket."
Another issue may be a high limit switch, which should be located somewhere near the
top of the firebox.
Keep an eye on it & let us know if it starts acting up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.