Heatilator Heirloom Mantel Shelf-Non Combustible help needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mkoon

Mar 4, 2015
Excelsior, MN
I've got a unique situation that requires some insight from this group as I cannot seem to figure it out. Here goes:

I've recently installed a heatilator heirloom 36 gas fireplace in my basement. I am planning to put a projector screen above it and in order to do what I want, it will require me to put the screen 4-6" above the top of the glass viewing area. In order to do that and to get heat out and away from the bottom part of my screen, I want to put a shelf in. Here's the specs on it: http://www.heatilator.com/Products/Heirloom-Series-Gas-Fireplace.aspx?page=Downloads

I've had a hard time finding any data on how big a shelf I need to get the heat redirected and what the actual temp should be after I put a shelf in at the bottom of my screen(which would likely mount 2" above the shelf). I need to put something non-combustible in and I would like a simple shelf. In a perfect world I would put a piece of 3/4" Hardietrim board on there and paint it. Can I paint it and not have issues long tern? Is Hardietrim a suitable product? Is there something else that would work better? I thought about a piece of 1/4" steel.

I don't plan to put anything on the shelf or ever touch it, it's purely to transition from rock to hardietrim and to block heat from my screen.

At the end of the day I need my projector screen as low as possible, so anything that allows me to do that and keep the heat below say ~180 degrees at the bottom of my screen is in play.

For what it is worth, my plan is to do river rock veneer down low, the shelf and then hardietrim run vertically to look like plank wood, that I will paint to match the shelf. Trying to make it look pretty casual, yet interesting.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

I'm not aware of any stove maker who publishes clearance info to screens/ or tvs
they probably dont want the liability should something go wrong.
So, finding 'data' may be quite hard...

i'd ask the place selling you the unit(s)
make them work for your sale!

Status
Not open for further replies.