Heatilator ND4236 Thermopile/Thermocouple Replacement Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CMD

Jan 1, 2017
Ocean County NJ
Hello all and Happy New Year!

I have a Heatilator ND4236 that I believe needs a new thermopile/thermocouple assy. I started digging in a bit and it looked like the assy should come out through the top, but the opening isn't big enough.

Whats the proper way to get this out?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Pilot stays lit no problem, but the flame will go on and off randomly. I can hear the valve open and close and I can see the voltage change on the thermopile as it happens.

Sounds like you need a new thermopile. Usually, you can loosen the retainer nut on the thermopile with a 7/16" open end wrench.
Loosen the screws at the TP & TH-TP terminals on the valve & pull the wires thru the bottom of the firebox. Sometimes you need to
remove a grommet or RTV from around the wires to get them out. If you still can't remove the thermopile, there are two zip screws
on either side of the pilot assembly bracket that need to be removed so you can lift it from the bottom & give you room to get the thermopile out.
Reverse your steps to reassemble after the new one is in.