heatilator ps35 burn problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maineman1985

Nov 21, 2014
northern maine
hello all my wife and i purchased a heatilator ps35 last year, it worked well keeping us worm. this year it seams to be running very rich, we switched from northeast pellets to crabbe i thought it might be because the stove was plugged up but when i tore the ventilation apart cleaned it up in good shape. i have the feed gate shut all the way down as far as it can go and it is still rumbling on start up and well after the start period she is throwing a flame like crazy way more than it is soposed to. also there are clinkers like crazy a lot reviews i read about these pellets say they should not be producing clinkers like this. as in i have to pull the lever dam near every 4 hrs or it will not ignite. help please i am stumped. o yeah and if you need a vid of what i am talking about i can make that happen.

What heat setting are you using? Blow torch type flame or large and lazy? No way to adjust air? Do you have Outside Air Kit? Vid would prove helpful...

Sorry, the more info, the better the advise that can be offered;)

when the fire pot is freshly cleaned it is blow torch type of flame when small but after a while it becomes lazy at dam near any flame height. i will clean the stove again and fire it up with a clean pot. will have to be a couple of hours got to run some errands. will have a vid up bye this evening.

What heat setting are you using? Blow torch type flame or large and lazy? No way to adjust air? Do you have Outside Air Kit? Vid would prove helpful...

Sorry, the more info, the better the advise that can be offered;)
i have it on the highest heat setting with the slide gate closed as far as allowed. the computer is set on #7 as well if that makes any difference. yes i have a outside air kit. air is wide open was like that from factory. the flame seams to be carburizing in nature looks like poofs of black smoke are rolling off the tips of the flames when they are large and lazy.

are you getting black soot on the glass? if so then you have an airflow issue, in order of lowest cost/easiest/most likely to the opposite of that, you have an air flow restriction, burnpot holes to heat exchanger to combustion blower area to checking the whole length of pipe to cap and cap screen, next air is entering the stove in a area it shouldn't be such as a bad door gasket or other area. last thing is combustion blower/wiring/control board. I have had good success when necessary replacing the combustion blower motors with harman combustion blowers.

update. I cleaned and checked all seals they are tight. one thing i want to bring up is the pellets i am using are short in length most are 3/8 to 3/4 inch long. this seams to be from my research, why my stove is acting like it is getting more fuel than normal. does this make sense? from what i have read the smaller peaces move threw the auger more evenly and may even be able to deliver more fuel for a given rotation of the auger.

Sometimes at first fire, there is too much fuel for what ever reason and you can get that "freight train" roar. I usually lift hopper lid on AE, or pull one wire on Sante Fe's vac switch to stop feed for a bit. I haven't totally familiarized myself with the heatilators totally yet. Do you have only one pellet setting? kap

The AE has three pellet settings. Hardwood softwood and utility. They may have omitted that on the heatilators. But you do have adjustment on air flow correct?

there is a flap of steel that control's the air coming into the burn pot i have that wide open it was like that from the factory. there are settings on the computer but it is set on whet the manual says for this unit. there is a switch on back of unit low med and high this controls the blower and auger. the is a peace of sheet metal that is adjustable to increase or decrease the amount of pellets the auger can grab at one time.

You've adjusted the feed gate as low as it will go and ensured it hasn't loosened up? The only other thing might be too much air - try closing up the damper in small increments. Leave enough burn time between changes to notice the effect ... Crabbe seems to be a softwood so will require less air to burn.

you can reduce the roar/rumble by closing the dampener underneath a little

ok so i switched the heat control from low med and high a bunch of times and could not hear a audible change in the exhaust blower, is this right or is this wrong and the speed of the exhaust blower should change with the change in heat setting?

No, it changes the auger feed rate and the speed of the room air distribution blower

Check your door gasket. Dollar Bill check.

ok so i switched the heat control from low med and high a bunch of times and could not hear a audible change in the exhaust blower, is this right or is this wrong and the speed of the exhaust blower should change with the change in heat setting?

In start up they run full speed no matter what setting you have it on (low,med,high) but once the fire has established, idk if it is at green light or red light it should start to adjust the speed of the exhaust blower based on your setting.

ok so i checked the gasket it is tight. i have found what the problem is the pellets are so small that at no matter what i set the stock feed gate at, it just is getting way to much fuel so i made my own and it works takes some tinkering to get it set but it works. i also grabbed some mwp's there 65 35 blend and put the stock feed gate back in and those pellets work the best, clean stove i can still see the bolts on the fire pot and there is just a small amount of soot on the door after 2 1/2 bags so if i can get more on these i will but i may not be able to so crabby pellets it is lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.