Heatilator PS35 flame

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Taurus71

Dec 1, 2014
CT
Hi all. Hoping someone can help? I can not regulate this stove to save my life. I'm running barefoot pellets. They almost seem too good for this stove. Feed is fully closed and the stove can't be run on high or the flame is beyond out of control. Med kind of works but the flame still rages. Low barely runs. No matter what I try it never gets better. I'm completely lost here. Thanks

Hi all. Hoping someone can help? I can not regulate this stove to save my life. I'm running barefoot pellets. They almost seem too good for this stove. Feed is fully closed and the stove can't be run on high or the flame is beyond out of control. Med kind of works but the flame still rages. Low barely runs. No matter what I try it never gets better. I'm completely lost here. Thanks

Could be your control board is set on the wrong number. Get your serial number on the stove, call Heatilator and ask them what the setting should be.

I would make the call anyway. Nothing wrong with being sure. Tell them the problem your having and they might recommend another setting.

Well Heatilator dealer was at the house and says all is normal but I'm not so sure I trust this guy. Flame is way to big on med. way to low on low and can't even think about high or the whole stove fills up with Fire. Control box on 6. Feed gate closed. Damper almost closed. Seems it drops to many pellets to often. I don't know? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

i have the PS50 and i have never closed the damper at all.
gate is closed as far as it goes and i get good flame levels on all three settings.

it seems to me that if the pellets are not getting enough air because the damper is shut so far, they will pile up and cause a higher flame.
and on low there is probably just not enough air period.

My stove came with the damper full open and the manual says to leave it that way. Never had a flame problem. Why would you close your damper almost all the way? I would open all the way, fire it up and let it run on high for a while. My flame goes higher and lower than the 4 - 8 inches sometimes, it's not going to be perfect.

ps 35 is soposed to be set on #7 picture shows it set on #2 but the words say to set ps35 at #7 http://www.hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/7058_206.PDF page 25 will be at the bottom left. as for the flame i have my feed gate chocked down all the way and have a way rich flame using crabbes pellets but i made a gate out of 3/16 ply wood 3x4 inch ill have to do a update to my thread but it is not hard you have to have a short screw driver or get a bit and use a pare of pliers to turn it like i did to get the screw out to get the stock feed gate off. i just use packaging tape to hold it in place on two sides the top and right hand side and it stays put. set it up and put a few cup full of pellets in and fire it up give it 15 or 20 to get running good and see if it is running the way you want it if not do it over again either open it up more or close it more just don't poor the whole bag of pellets in till you think you got it set where you want it. p.s. open the damper up as much as you can only reason to close it is if your fuel is flying out because it is getting two much air.

My stove came with the damper full open and the manual says to leave it that way. Never had a flame problem. Why would you close your damper almost all the way? I would open all the way, fire it up and let it run on high for a while. My flame goes higher and lower than the 4 - 8 inches sometimes, it's not going to be perfect.
The only reason I closed the damper was to try things. Nothing works. It's not about being perfect it's about being able to use the stove safely. Low is pointless. Med peaks all the way to the top of the stove way to often and high is unusable.

ps 35 is soposed to be set on #7 picture shows it set on #2 but the words say to set ps35 at #7 http://www.hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/7058_206.PDF page 25 will be at the bottom left. as for the flame i have my feed gate chocked down all the way and have a way rich flame using crabbes pellets but i made a gate out of 3/16 ply wood 3x4 inch ill have to do a update to my thread but it is not hard you have to have a short screw driver or get a bit and use a pare of pliers to turn it like i did to get the screw out to get the stock feed gate off. i just use packaging tape to hold it in place on two sides the top and right hand side and it stays put. set it up and put a few cup full of pellets in and fire it up give it 15 or 20 to get running good and see if it is running the way you want it if not do it over again either open it up more or close it more just don't poor the whole bag of pellets in till you think you got it set where you want it. p.s. open the damper up as much as you can only reason to close it is if your fuel is flying out because it is getting two much air.
My book says #6. You must have newer stove? Newer control box?

iirc, the control board can be adjusted to feed more or less in 10% increments.
i believe that is usually for adjusting for high altitude situations.

i also don't recall exactly how that is done.

The only reason I closed the damper was to try things. Nothing works. It's not about being perfect it's about being able to use the stove safely. Low is pointless. Med peaks all the way to the top of the stove way to often and high is unusable.

The stove has a high limit switch which will shut down the stove if it gets to hot. Has this happened? Also have you contacted Heatilator yet and confirmed the control box setting. I've heard in the past that some of the newer stoves were shipped with older manuals that have the wrong setting listed.

yes the control box needs to be set to the correct setting and there are a few different ones out there. The other question is what is the venting consisting of? Is there combustion air? What is the sqft of the house? Is there a negative pressure situation? If there is a problem involving a Heatilator it is usually a bad install or bad fuel.

Eric

I'll ask the $64,000 questions, how long have you had the stove and when was the last full deep clean done?

Then I also have a follow on list depending upon the answers to the two I just asked.

I'll ask the $64,000 questions, how long have you had the stove and when was the last full deep clean done?

Then I also have a follow on list depending upon the answers to the two I just asked.

Damn Bear!

yes the control box needs to be set to the correct setting and there are a few different ones out there. The other question is what is the venting consisting of? Is there combustion air? What is the sqft of the house? Is there a negative pressure situation? If there is a problem involving a Heatilator it is usually a bad install or bad fuel.

Eric
The stove was installed to a T per the install manual and inspected. Fuel is high end barefoot premium. I just think the stove drops to many pellets. The flame will be just right then it dumps more when not needed.

Second winter for stove and deep clean once a week.

Reactions: Hdhogger
Status
Not open for further replies.