Heatilator question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basswidow

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Milton GA
My house currently has a 42 zero clearance heatilator set up with natural gas and fake logs. I hate this POS and will replace it someday with what I had before.

Many of my neighbors have the same and have removed the ceramic fake logs and will put wood logs in - using the gas burner to start the fire and then let it run.

I read the owners manual and you are allowed to burn wood, however, I don't have a manual for the gas log burner and I doubt it was intended for this use. I don't intend to use mine like this. Are my neighbors risking a potential fire. The cast gas line is right under the wood logs and burning coals.

I think alot of folks do this ? Is this crazy?

What is the specific model number? If this fireplace has a gas vent flue this is definitely risky business.

I've read the fireplace specs. The fireplace and flue can be used to burn wood. I don't know or any spec's for the gas log set. My neighbors simply removed the ceramic fake logs and use the rack and burner to burn real wood logs. It's the gas pipe and burner I am concerned about. Seems like the wood heat and chunks of red hot oak coals falling thru the grate and resting on the burner and gas pipe would be a BAD thing? I don't know?

Without the model number I can't help too much. It doesn't sound good or safe, but I could be reacting from lack of knowledge. PM Daksy who is more familiar with the gas workings.

I'm here, but BeGreen pretty much nailed it. If there's a gas log burner in the ZC box, it's there to burn gas, NOT wood. It's a decorative gas appliance, not a heater. There ARE gas burners called Log Lighters, that are use the gas to ignite firewood, but they are a whole different critter from a gas log. These Log Lighters are generally installed in masonry fireplace & not ZC boxes (in my experience). The gas shut off is installed EXTERNALLY from the firebox so it can be shut down after the wood has ignited. A gas log set has the gas valve (usually) attached to the burner or sand pan. Too much heat, as that from a wood fire, will melt the plastic/rubber components in the valve & render it useless. Many gas log burners have this problem when they try to burn with the fireplace doors closed. I would have to say that this is a pretty dangerous way to use a gas burner, but AFIK, once the gas valve fails, that'll pretty much be the end of that type of operation, as the gas won't get to the burner tube any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.