Heatilator Will Not Turn On (Pilot Lit) -- What is minimum mV from Therompile?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jj911c2

Dec 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
I have a Heatilator GNBC30 that will not light via the wall switch. The pilot is lit and stays on fine. I also bypassed the swtich for troubleshooting and that was not the issue.

From another post I saw to test the mV coming out of the thermopile. I get 250mV from the Thermopile - is this too low? I am trying to determine if I should replace the thermopile or if it is somethign else.

The fireplace started out with a delay when the switch was thrown (a few minutes) and now will not turn on at all.

Thank you

Is it 250 standing or with a load (switch on)?

First check the pilot flame, make sure it is nice and string and stable. If it looks lazy you need to clean out the inside of it and the orifice. Check mV again and see if it goes up. Also disconnect the thermopile from the valve and check the mV that way also. If that doesn't work you could probably just replace the thermopile. Although if the pilot assembly is 5 years + old I would just replace the whole thing. Its usually only a few extra $$ to do that over replacing the thermopile and thermocouple. Usually when one goes the other is not far behind. You should be getting 500+ mV off and 220-250 mV while turned on.

Replace the T-P...
You should get around 550mv from the pilot - burner off...
220 +/- with the burner on...
You're down around 1/2 of what you need...
If you can't get a heatilator or HeatnGlo
True Value has a universal type for about $50 that'll prolly work...

Thanks again for the follow up.

I took it appart and cleaned it up (it was pretty clean to start with) but am still getting the same readings. Pilot flame hits the TP pretty well.

There is a Heatilator dealer in my area I will try to get a new one from.

There is a red caulk that the wires run through i need to remove and replace - what type of caulk is that?

Hi-temp RTV Silicone.
You can grab a small squeeze tube for about $7...
Color doesn't matter...
Some units actually use an RTV grommet

First check the pilot flame, make sure it is nice and string and stable. If it looks lazy you need to clean out the inside of it and the orifice. Check mV again and see if it goes up. Also disconnect the thermopile from the valve and check the mV that way also. If that doesn't work you could probably just replace the thermopile. Although if the pilot assembly is 5 years + old I would just replace the whole thing. Its usually only a few extra $$ to do that over replacing the thermopile and thermocouple. Usually when one goes the other is not far behind. You should be getting 500+ mV off and 220-250 mV while turned on.

I did all of the above and am getting 520 mV at the valve and switch but still the fireplace will not fire. I also jumpered the leads at the valve and still it would not fire.

Holy thread necrophilia Batman!

Perhaps you should start a new thread with information on your own problem rather than resurrecting a four year old topic... otherwise you'll just confuse people...

I did all of the above and am getting 520 mV at the valve and switch but still the fireplace will not fire. I also jumpered the leads at the valve and still it would not fire.

Is the "ON-PILOT-OFF" knob in the "ON" position? What unit are we talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.