Heatilator Ws-22 Review.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsj425

Burning Hunk
Jul 17, 2011
North Pole Alaska
I have been burninig in the stove for almost 4 weeks now so figured I would post the review now. I wanted to really put the stove through its paces before I did a full on review and I have done just that. It hasnt been above -30 for the past 5 days so what a better time for a review than now..

The setup:
Stove- Heatilator Eco Choice WS-22
7 ft. of double wall 6' pipe
8 ft Class A chimney
2- 45 elbows for offset

The Install:
The install went well only problem we had was the stud finder aparantly lied and we had a roof joist where one wasnt suppose to be so I had to use 2- 45's for a small offset so I didnt get the straight through shot as planned but all in all not a big deal. Stove is drafting great and I use a soot eater so not a problem for cleaning.

Burn Cycles:
So far have used about 1/3 cord and have been burning 24/7 for a while now doing a full reload at night full reload in the morning and a 1/2 load when I get home from work. There wasnt much of a learning curve with the stove I guess I got lucky and found the sweet spot on the first or second real fire after the break ins. She is a smooth cruiser right around 520 with secondaries going full blast. Everything works as it is suppose to and man it really cranks out the heat in fact that may be my only complaint ( i know terrible me my stove is too hot) So I rarely ever fill it to the gills or it will have the stove room around 86+ in no time. I opted for the corner install which can be as close to the walls at 3 inches from the corners and I am at about 5 inches away so no problems with clearences. When the stove is full blast the hottest the walll has gotten was 95 per IR thermometer so no concerns there. I strayed from the cycle this week just to see how long I cold go between Reloads. This week is has been -30 and colder and I did a full load and let it burn down to coals and didnt reload for 13 hours and still had good coals for it to take right off again without even using kindling.

End notes

All in all it is an Awesome stove which has far exceeded my expectations for the money I dont belive it can be beat price wise despite what the 30-NC crowd says ( ducks and hides). I have plenty of friends that wood burn and have first hand seen other stoves perform all the way up to the fancy soap stone's and this keeps up with stoves 2 and 3 times its price IMO.

stove.jpg

DSC00149.jpg

Secondaries doing their thing..

I had a video but for whatever reason it is super dark when uploaded but looks fine on the camera. Anywho the video is of the fabeled blue flame secondaries I will try to edit it and brighten it up and repost. And yes I know I still need to trim the hearth I have been to busy being lazy and enjoying the stove!!

GOOD GOD! What type of insulation do you people have in Alaska?!

:lol:

Every kind My house has blue board then fiberglass then cellulose then vapor barrier then spray foam over top of it all in the walls the celings is just fiberglass/cellulose. Yesterday our high was -36

I've been watching for your review. I hope to have the install finished on my WS22 tomorrow but I don't know If I'll light it off if we get it done, the forecast high is supposed to 74*.

Your hearth looks great as well.

How much did this stove cost? Firebox size?

IT cost be 1,800 but that was with nickel hardware upgrade and blower. And those are Alaska dollars everything is way more expensive up here I heard it could be had for around 1,100 in the lower 48. The fire box is very long it will take a 24inch log recomended size is 22'' and it is 2.7cu ft. total.

I caught mine on sale at a local farm & ranch supply outfit for $949.99, regular list is $999.99, with out a blower and standard hardware.

bsj425 said:
IT cost be 1,800 but that was with nickel hardware upgrade and blower. And those are Alaska dollars everything is way more expensive up here I heard it could be had for around 1,100 in the lower 48. The fire box is very long it will take a 24inch log recomended size is 22'' and it is 2.7cu ft. total.
That's a pretty good deal at 1100. Much better clearances than the Englander.

Ember protection only for the hearth on that heatilator?

yes ember protection only

short vid.. gates of hell cruising nicely at 520 deg. Air 3/4 shut... got to click the pic

Looks good.
I finished my install today but it is still 70* outside at almost 7:00pm.
Whatever it takes to keep the furnace from running I guess.

bsj425 said:
Every kind My house has blue board then fiberglass then cellulose then vapor barrier then spray foam over top of it all in the walls the celings is just fiberglass/cellulose. Yesterday our high was -36

Seriously, -36 already? Phew. Nice post and nice looking stove & install. Many trees in your area, how do you get your wood?

Millions of acres of trees no shortage anytime soon. I cut it myself. And yep we havent had a day warmer than -30 in a week and a half. It has been more like -40 or so for the past 4 days.

Makes my +40 sound positively balmy :)
We did actually hit -30 just up the road from last winter record cold for the state.
When it gets cold enough that water left outside freezes it's pushing too cold for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.