Heating 3,500 square foot house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are several happy owners on this forum. Hard to beat the price, but you can if you shop. They were going as low as $650 in Feb./March. I didn't suggest it because the original posting seemed to indicate a desire for a contemporary styled stove.

You could repaint it as long as you use a high temp stove paint. This is what BrotherBart did. He was the first Englander owner on the forum and now has a couple seasons on the stove and is still smiling.

NF CT said:
BeGreen said:
If you don't mind a big black box then also look at an Englander 30NC. At 3.5 cu ft it is probably the best bargain on the market. And you can get it at a local Home Depot or Lowes. (Englander also is sold as Summer'sHeat brand.)

Holy crap that's cheap. $1,299 at Home Depot.
Hmmm...
Wonder if I can get away with the looks of it?

overstock stoves had it I think for around $700-$800 with free shipping and no tax:
http://www.overstockstoves.com/50nowomo2sqf.html
But I see that it currently says "out of stock"

Its a great stove but that bad boy needs a lot of work to meet the wife acceptance factor (WAF) :)

NF CT said:
OK, so how to add an interior chimney? It would be going through a bedroom and/or bathroom (above the living room)

You could find a pro to help you (hopefully the guys installing your system know what is best for you, but don't assume so, often they will recommend what is easiest, which is not always in your best interest). Or perhaps someone who lives in your area from the forum could take a look. You mentioned what sounded like a foyer that opens up to the second floor - not sure if you could use that space for the chimney? Going though a bedroom or bathroom is NOT the end of the world and I certainly wouldn't rule it out... do some searching to see how others have done it. Read up on why this is important before you do something you'll regret later. If you like stories, try this one:
http://www.newsday.com/features/home/nyp-hsdr-110404,0,5765838.column

If you can post floorplans for both floors we may be able to help. Basically you need to look at a centralish location where a chimney can go up and not be a hazard or major disruption to the upstairs room. This will be permanent, so it is a good idea to think awhile about it. Pay attention to how the floor joists run. If you can work with the ceiling support box between the existing floor joists, it saves a lot of patching.

Sometimes there is a closet in which a corner can be sacrificed. Or perhaps a wall on which a boxed enclosure (~14" sq OD.) would not be too obtrusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.