Heating Bill down by $120 from last year, last Month

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lighting Up

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 30, 2010
Roc City NY
Just received my gas and elect bill and with the new Avalon stove even as small as the stove box is I was able to save $120 form last year at the same month. To bad I didn't get the stove sooner. However as much as I'm glad that spring is here when it comes to saving $$ for the power co. I almost can't wait till next years winter... bring it on. One other thing is even with saving money, the house was warmer then I would ever put the furnace up to. Can't wait to see what a full year will be in savings.

No... still have one face cord left, so I'll be working with my wood guy over the summer. He gives me good seasoned wood for the price.
md

That's awesome, man. I installed my insert in mid January. I figured I've already saved close to a full tank of oil this year- plus I claimed the install on my taxes. I'm still burning fires on cooler mornings and evenings. I have started processing wood for next year. I love this stove! I can't wait to start stacking my splits and letting them dry out. What is it about burning wood that is so gratifying?

what sq is your house? I am looking in to getting a Avalon myself

My house is 2300 sq ft the stove is in the great room with cathedral ceiling so I really thought the heat would go up to the bed rooms but with the fans I was able to keep the house at 72-75f in Feb and march.

I started with zc stove that I used for 10 years and never, ever, even came close to getting heat like the Avalon w/blower. Because of the zc incert the only one that would fit was the Avalon Pelenton the box is small around 1.5 cu inch (I think), so burn times are around 5-ish hours just because of the box. I use half the wood in this then the zc which gave me 1 hour burn time.

The cost to rip out the zc incert, to me, just did not make sense and now seeing what the stove can do it was the right decision plus Uncle Obama gave me his donation.

So I guess you can say I 'm very happy with the Avalon...good luck with your decision on your stove.
md

Nice to hear it's working well for you. Sounds like you are pleased with your uncle's support as well.

I think I one-upped you.

I paid for my stove and flue system, minus the install which was done by myself, in 16 months.

Through March of this year, I have spent 3000 less on home heating fuel.

You read it right, three thousand dollars.

Frostbid, I guess your right Alaska trumps Upstate NY for cold temp's anytime. But you never know with NY State cost of living (tax) I may win... I'll let you know after next winter.
md

I used to buy 4 tanks of oil and keep the house at 64 in the winter.
Now, I get 2 fill ups of oil, and the temps in the house are 70 during the winter.
Not a huge savings, but its a lot warmer and the Mrs's and kids seem happy :)

Yeah Dave, I think I'm on the same boat. I have an old house with crappy insulation in the walls, and a lot of windows. On cold winter days I couldn't get the place over 64. Now it's toasty, and I'm hoping to cut my oil consumption in half. We'll see. Next year's my first full winter.

Spend the summer sealing up cracks, starting with the foundation sill and working all the way up. Caulk is cheap, it just takes time. The tighter and better insulated one can make the house, the less of any fuel it is going to take to heat. Make temporary storm windows if there are none now and maybe consider insulating curtains.

:coolhmm:
Frostbit said:
I think I one-upped you.

I paid for my stove and flue system, minus the install which was done by myself, in 16 months.

Through March of this year, I have spent 3000 less on home heating fuel.

You read it right, three thousand dollars.

Hell, I saved close to $2,000 and I live in FLORIDA :coolhmm:

I have put in 175 gal. o f fuel in Jan 1, of 2010 and 142 gal. on Mar. 5. Still trying to burn less oil but most of that is for domestic hot water. Have burned about 3 cords of wood this winter. Oil tank is 275 gal. Total cost of oil for winter $662. YEA. Before wood it was $1800.

BeGreen said:
Spend the summer sealing up cracks, starting with the foundation sill and working all the way up. Caulk is cheap, it just takes time. The tighter and better insulated one can make the house, the less of any fuel it is going to take to heat. Make temporary storm windows if there are none now and maybe consider insulating curtains.
+1
I like to caulk in the winter when I can easily locate the cold air coming in.

Last year we couldn't heat the house to 70 when it was 25 or below out. I was upset, and felt I did the wrong thing by upgrading our furnace. Then I decided to become an investigator and found a ton of leaks in the attic and basement. After sealing them I could heat the house to 70 when it was -5 out. Nothing was wrong with the furnace, it was the home. Its the best thing I did!

Stove installed 2/12/10

Savings estimate so far $600

Savings estimate for next heating season $2400

Shari

I too purchased the avalon pendelton insert w/ blower and had installed mid january. Was going through 100gal of propane every 3 weeks @ $3/gal, havn't filled up since I had the stove installed and still have 20 gal left as of today (we cook with propane as well), you do the math for the savings so far, not to mention the tax rebate...I have a 2000 sqft ranch, with wood insert at one end of house. It performs well beyond my expectations even with its small box (but thats the only size that would also fit into my zc fireplace). I highly recommend to anyone looking into purchasing this stove to purchase the blower option, i don't believe it would heat as much space as it does with it. I too live in upstate NY, Saratoga Co. and agree with LIGHTING UP, it has a burn time around 5hrs, however, I have loaded stove up around 10-11pm, damped down and had red coals in the morning, just stir up the ash and coals and throw another split on and back in action. Guess it its a no brainer that the family as well as I are very pleased with this stove...now have to start the whole getting ahead thing, only have about 1 1/2 cord split for next yr. Thank you to all of you here...I'd never have learned in a lifetime what I've learned here is such a short time.

Buckmiester, great to hear your having the same results with you Avalon stove. I to have loaded it up at night as small as this box is and was able to get a overnight burn with coals to restart. The one thing that I'm impressed with too is the wood burns so much slower than the zc did so the wood last so much long. Again another savings that I have not figured in my $120 RGE cost. High temps today are around 45 f... almost thinking of firing the girl up.
md

Status
Not open for further replies.