Heating Domestic Hot Water with DS Machine Wood/Coal Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

monster_maul

Hearth Supporter
Sep 29, 2010
Northeastern PA
I am seriously considering buying a DS Machine Energy Max 160 Wood/Coal stove (http://www.amishcoalstoves.com/main.html?src=/#3,0). I'm told that these units can be fitted with a 4 GPM Domestic Hot Water coil. Local dealer says he just sold the same setup to another customer this week.

I'm currently heating DHW with the oil burner and propane water heater (boiler domestic coil into the cold side of the propane heater). Heat the house 90% with a Regency wood stove in the basement. So during the wood heat season, I'm paying $3.50 a gallon to heat hot water, as the wood stove heats the house. Thinking that if I buy the new DS stove, the 90% goes up to 100% for home heating, and I could cut the cost of DHW by using the stove.

I am no plumber by any means, so my question is,, is this a reasonable idea? I've seen a lot of talk about this, some have recommended a tempering tank between the stove and Hot Water heater. Cost of storage tanks seems expensive,, does this make this idea cost prohibitive? Here's one document I found with a couple different options, http://www.hilkoil.com/domesticcoil-install.pdf

Could anyone offer advice, recommendations? I'm located in Northeast PA, if there's anyone out there in the business that would be interested in giving a cost estimate.

I have that coil. You just have to make sure everything is done correctly. Mine been in for 2 years now and only heat hot water when I need to heat the house. My install between hot water tanks is around 100 foot. My total cost was about 1000.00.

Don't know anything about these units, but from what their web info says, it sounds like this 160 is just a big stove (which can be fitted with a coil). Before you jump at this one, you might want to take a look at the (many) other choices that are available. Here in the Boiler Room you will get suggestions (like this one), to look at boilers (more $), preferably a gasification boiler (more $$). The big advantage of a boiler is that it can heat your house via your existing heat distribution system (even heat everywhere), and do the DHW as well. There are many possibilities, but one of the simplest in your case would be to pipe a gassification boiler (located where you stove is now) in series with your OB. Parallel installation is a bit more efficient, but probably would require additional controls (with series you just use the existing OB distribution controls). There is also the storage option, which makes the whole thing much more user-friendly. But, if this unit is all you can spring for (and these days all of us can relate to that), then I think the circulator option might be better and less expensive than the tempering tank. Maybe someone here can give you good feedback on the unit you are looking at and the company as well. In looking at their site, I see that they are also selling boilers. Good luck with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.