Heating Domestic Hot Water With Pellet Boiler?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I've been looking at a Harman Hydroflex 60 pellet boiler, and was wondering how it would work heating dhw in the existing BoilerMate indirect hot water tank. I would think this might not only be a summertime issue, since the boiler would have to sometimes start from cold when the call for hot water comes. I'm thinking since we only take showers and not serially, there might be enough hot water in the tank to overcome a possibly slower start (than an oil boiler). Come to think of it, I'm not sure how seamless the oil and pellet boiler operation might be. Would the oil boiler come on each time there is a call for heat because the pellet boiler takes a little while to heat up? That would be counter productive, I would think.

Although it would cost more, a Geyser heat pump water heater would be a great non-heating season hot water heater.
I use one and it does a really good job.
There are others here using the Geyser and other heat pump water heaters that have similar results.

The Geyser costs a little more, but is really built to an industrial standard.

I am using an on demand propane water heater in the off season. I had a rinnai in my other house. New York Thermals in this one. I have been very happy with both.

Status
Not open for further replies.