Heating entire home with a pellet stove. Water pipes freezing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
freebird77 said:
We are in Hallstead, about 50 miles north of Scranton Pa. Yes this is a great bunch here. The P61 is a Harman. The blower and uger takes a little getting used to, but whenever I hear it run ,I think of the money Im saving over kero, and nut being a slave to the oil companys and foreign countrys

AMEN! Anything to reduce our dependance on oil!! I just hope pellets dont go through the rood in pricing.

Marster said:
freebird77 said:
We are in Hallstead, about 50 miles north of Scranton Pa. Yes this is a great bunch here. The P61 is a Harman. The blower and uger takes a little getting used to, but whenever I hear it run ,I think of the money Im saving over kero, and nut being a slave to the oil companys and foreign countrys

AMEN! Anything to reduce our dependance on oil!! I just hope pellets dont go through the rood in pricing.

I agree on the oil dependence! I think pellets are "fairly" safe pricewise hopefully. They have opened up a few plants here in Maine....and theres another one going online in august for production. The more sources we have the better. Now if they can make a user friendly at home do it yourselfer pellet maker ....lol.....similar to those old loredo cigarette rollers LOL

That was pretty much the main reason we bought the stove. While we paid more then Id anticipated, due to installation ,hearth pad etc; I decided that paying American or Canadian companys for pellets was better then supporting foriegn oil, any more then we have to. I ride a motorcycle spring thru fall, which helps keep my gasoline consumption down.
Wish we all could do more to stick it to these big oil companys. This is getting way out of hand, and I think this country is in a bad way, and going to get worse. God Bless the USA

AwsumSS said:
Marster said:
freebird77 said:

I agree on the oil dependence! I think pellets are "fairly" safe pricewise hopefully. They have opened up a few plants here in Maine....and theres another one going online in august for production. The more sources we have the better. Now if they can make a user friendly at home do it yourselfer pellet maker ....lol.....similar to those old loredo cigarette rollers LOL

LOL! That would be alot of rolling! LOL!

Around here there does seem to be an abundance of pellets this year. I heard 2 yrs ago it was a different story. Competetion does help us! I bought 2 tons from the same place I bought the stove. Received a good deal. 170.00 at ton. Put an order in for summer prices and they quoted 2.05 a ton. She uses, the brand slips my mind right now but it's a hardwood pellet from Ky. 1% ash.

freebird77 said:
That was pretty much the main reason we bought the stove. While we paid more then Id anticipated, due to installation ,hearth pad etc; I decided that paying American or Canadian companys for pellets was better then supporting foriegn oil, any more then we have to. I ride a motorcycle spring thru fall, which helps keep my gasoline consumption down.
Wish we all could do more to stick it to these big oil companys. This is getting way out of hand, and I think this country is in a bad way, and going to get worse. God Bless the USA

Pretty much one of my main reasons too! I spent more than I thought I would too but needed everything plus the installation. I was going to tackle it myself till I talked to my homeowners. They said there isnt any problems with having one and my rates would stay the same, BUT in the event there would be a fire and it wasnt installed by a certified installer, they wouldnt pay. Changed my mind real quick. Not that I think they're unsafe. They appear to have alot of safety features.

Here's a good laugh for you. Bush proposed a tax credit for all tax payer who make 30k to 80k. I think it's called a rebate. Similiar to the 300.00 we got a few yrs back. I think it's for 800.00. Most people I know will pay bills with it....rather than go out and buy anything. Hold on tight, it's going to be a bumpy ride!

Marster said:
freebird77 said:

Pretty much one of my main reasons too! I spent more than I thought I would too but needed everything plus the installation. I was going to tackle it myself till I talked to my homeowners. They said there isnt any problems with having one and my rates would stay the same, BUT in the event there would be a fire and it wasnt installed by a certified installer, they wouldnt pay. Changed my mind real quick. Not that I think they're unsafe. They appear to have alot of safety features.

Here's a good laugh for you. Bush proposed a tax credit for all tax payer who make 30k to 80k. I think it's called a rebate. Similiar to the 300.00 we got a few yrs back. I think it's for 800.00. Most people I know will pay bills with it....rather than go out and buy anything. Hold on tight, it's going to be a bumpy ride!

I'll spend it! lol....I put 500 with the last 300 we got and got a new snow blower instead of robbing my savings lol I'll put mine into helping finishing off my basement. The dems want it to be 500 and give more to food stamps....the white house wants 800 to fo to the taxpayer....."any" money they want to give back....bring it on....i pay way to much now lol.
My fiance is an insurance agent and they dont really require permit install just that a certified installer installed it. At least the underwriters she deals with dont.

Thats what our agent told us, that it should be installed by a licenced contractor. Our first homeowners bill since installing hadnt changed, so thats good.

One good thing is I dont need a permit to have it installed. From what I hear, that is different depending upon the borough/township. I have my homeowners through Allstate.

I'd spend it too if or when we get it. I think the Dems are upset cause the WH didnt include anyone under 30k and senior citizens. Have to see how this plays out. It may give a "lift" but it will be very temporary. I say Lower the price of OIL and gas......you would think that would free up money for other things to buy. Who knows! I'm by far an expert....but common sense tells me, a quick shot for everyone wont turn things around.....but I'll take it too! LOL!

Looking forward to my installation....hopefully this week. I talked to the owner/operator of the place I purchased it. She said the installer is to call me.

Thanks again for all the help! I'm sure once I get it installed, I'll have other questions.

I have forced hot water, using an Oil burning furnance. I have a Qaud-Fire Mount Vernon AE schedualed to be installed on 1/09. Where I am, on top of a windy hill in central Mass., we get some real cold wind chill's. In order to avoid my pipes from freezing I was planinng on setting my oil thermostat @ say 66 and pellet stove @ 65. If figure this will keep the system running for shot periods of time frequently. Anybody doing this or have a better suggestion?

Thanks

alway's in-control!

Marster wrote, "I have a septic system and to be honest, I dont like letting the water drip but I rather not have frozen pipes! "

If you let the water drip you wont have to worry about the water pipes freezing anymore. All your attention will be diverted to
the now frozen sewer line. Depending on frost conditions that little dribble of water will never get to the septic tank before it freezes.
If you think freezing your water pipes would be a nightmare wait till you have 20-30-40 ft of 4" pipe that is frozen underground.
Dont let the faucets drip. Heat tapes should be plugged into a GFI recepticle.

Put a remote thermometer sensor down there (use the indoor/outdoor variety) and eliminate the guesswork. Radio Shack has some inexpensive ones.

Any reasonable structually sound basement shouldn't get below freezing, should it? I don't have any heat in my basement and I don't think it gets below 50 down there.

Our basement in northern Maine doesnt get below 40 degrees even when it gets below -20 outside. like you said, any sound below ground level basement should not freeze. The ground warms the basement floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.