1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Heating garage

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by RORY12553, Jan 27, 2013.

1. RORY12553

RORY12553 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern NY
    I have a blower in my garage that runs off the oil to keep the garage at a certain temp during the winter. I have it set for about 45 right but not sure if that is too high? My boiler, water softner etc is in a room off the garage. My bedroom is also above the garage along with a bathroom. Up until this past week it has been in the 50's by itself. Am i keeping it to high or just right?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Lumber-Jack

Lumber-Jack Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Beautiful British Columbia
    It depends, are you keeping your firewood in the garage?
  3. nate379

nate379 Guest

I usually keep my garage at 50-55. My boiler, softener, weater heater are in there. I'd imagine with the garage heat turned off it would stay warm enough to not freeze though.
  4. RORY12553

Loc:
    Southern NY
    Yes i only bring a couple of days worth at a time
  5. Lumber-Jack

Lumber-Jack Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Beautiful British Columbia
    Ok, good. The reason I ask is because you post this in the woodshed forum, I was just trying to confirm the link between oil heating your garage and firewood.
    My garage is separate from my house, and functions more as a shop. I have a wood stove in there that I use to heat it, but since I'm not out there all the time, most of the time I only try and keep it just warm enough that things don't freeze, and that requires getting a fire going in the stove every other day or so, so the effective temperature range fluctuates between +33 F and +90 F.
  6. RORY12553

Loc:
    Southern NY
    didn't know where to post the question....so the answer to the question is to keep it above freezing which is usually not a challenge but last week was