Heating it Forward

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bgoodwithwood

Hearth Supporter
Sep 26, 2008
Shrewsbury, Mass
I am starting to hear more and more about this and it is very sad.

Many people are out of work or struggling again this year to keep their homes warm. I called Citizens Energy here in Mass to see if they offer any kind of heating assistance for those who have stoves that due to no fault of their own cannot afford to heat their homes buying wood or pellets. Currently they do not which surprised me.

Do any of the forum members know of programs in their respective states that offer heating assistance to wood and pellet burners? This may be a good resource for others that may not want to post their need or are lurking the boards here looking for information. .

I am thinking of partnering with wood and stove dealers to develop a program to help these working families. In this land of plenty there is absolutely no reason why anyone should fall through the cracks and not be warm this winter. Thank you all in advance and I apologize if this topic has already been covered and documented, Todd.

At least you can scrounge wood. It's tough to scrounge pellets!

bgoodwithwood said:
I am starting to hear more and more about this and it is very sad.

Many people are out of work or struggling again this year to keep their homes warm. I called Citizens Energy here in Mass to see if they offer any kind of heating assistance for those who have stoves that due to no fault of their own cannot afford to heat their homes buying wood or pellets. Currently they do not which surprised me.

Do any of the forum members know of programs in their respective states that offer heating assistance to wood and pellet burners? This may be a good resource for others that may not want to post their need or are lurking the boards here looking for information. .

I am thinking of partnering with wood and stove dealers to develop a program to help these working families. In this land of plenty there is absolutely no reason why anyone should fall through the cracks and not be warm this winter. Thank you all in advance and I apologize if this topic has already been covered and documented, Todd.

Todd,
We are in the process of establishing this type of assistance. There is an enormous need for this and we are focusing on families of soldiers that have been deployed,teachers, social workers, and others that have led a life of service and need a little help themselves now. My email if you want to get involved or learn more [email protected]
Jim

I'm pretty sure Michigan still has a home heating credit that is also good even if you heat with wood. I do not know much about it except that they have to apply in September (I think).

WI has it through the power/gas company.

I'd be willing to help out in the MA area if you either find such a program or want to get one going. If you were to get one going I would want it to include an education component - i.e. would require a "how to burn your stove well" discussion as part of first wood delivery.

Even though I may be close in terms of how much wood I have set for this year, I imagine someone out there may well need it more than I do so I could always share some portion of it. Would give a good incentive to work a little harder for the future supplies too eh? (and perhaps an excuse to do it!).

Of course my fear is that I'd show up at someone's house with a truckload of wood and find able bodied folks there not willing to lift a finger to help unload and stack it... gasp... [/cynic mode]

Status
Not open for further replies.